Join a creative marketing team in a great working environment! This is a full-time position as the college’s primary web editor (www.alma.edu). Operating within a decentralized campus web system, the position responsibilities include content creation and monitoring, user authorization and training, collaboration on website strategy, analysis and reporting on usage patterns, and oversight of web accessibility compliance requirements.
• As one of the Alma College brand champions, create and modify web content that reflects a positive, compelling web presence consistent with the college’s overall communication and marketing plan.
• Serve as a member of the Web Core Team to develop a comprehensive website strategy. Analyze and provide recommendations for website page layout, enhancements, content creation and ongoing content management. Assist in the evaluation and implementation of new and emerging web technologies.
• Organize and maintain the Web site to effectively engage our various external and internal audiences and communicate key messages. Ensure that content complies with brand standards and strategic objectives.
• Work closely with Information Technology Services on issues of usability, Web standards and new formats, protocols, or applications.
• Serve in the role of a “super user” with in depth knowledge and understanding of the LiveWhale content management system. Establish or change user authority levels as directed. Troubleshoot problems. Solve issues and challenges that occur within LiveWhale.
• Coordinate and monitor user-generated content with administrative offices, academic departments, students, committees and constituent groups. Provide training and technical support for content authors as needed. Review content for grammar, spelling and typographic errors. For web pages where there is no dedicated content provider, serve as the content creator to assure a well-rounded, comprehensive college site.
• Monitor Web site usage with tracking software. Analyze and interpret data and provide quarterly reports to management. Provide usability recommendations based on interpreted data and usage patterns.
• Research and recommend new strategies to increase the reliability, functionality and user friendliness of the Website. Implement as authorized.
• Ensure Website meets all accessibility compliance requirements.
Bachelor’s degree in communications or a related field. Excellent communication skills. Two years of experience in Web design. Strong knowledge of HTML and of CSS. Familiarity with responsive design. Understanding of web content accessibility guidelines. Ability to understand web analytics and develop strategies from analytics data. Strong writing skills and knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling. Familiarity with Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop or other image creation and editing applications. Sensitivity to multiple audiences’ needs, project objectives and deadlines. Ability to work well with others. Organizational skills and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
Extensive computer work, sitting at a desk approximately eight hours a day.
Send an Alma College application, cover letter, resume and the name and contact information for three professional references electronically to Alma College Associate Vice President for Communication Mike Silverthorn, at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin June 12, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
For an Alma College application please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/897- employment-application.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and student success. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.