This position is responsible for the overall administration and coordination of the human resources functions at Alma College including employee recruitment, orientation, performance evaluation, compensation and benefit administration, and compliance with relevant federal and state laws. The successful candidate must be a strong advocate for diversity and inclusion, support a welcoming environment for faculty, staff and students, and demonstrate the values of honesty and integrity in confidential interactions with employees and others.
Supervision Received/Given: Reports to the Vice President for Planning/Chief of Staff, with frequent collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer. Supervises the Benefits Specialist, Employment Specialist and Data Entry Clerk in the Human Resources Office.
• Provide leadership in the development, administration and communication of comprehensive personnel policies and procedures that support a culture of collaboration, accountability and recognition of achievement and support the college’s mission.
• Advise senior leadership in human resource management issues, including competitive compensation and benefit practices and emerging issues and trends that could impact college policy and practice. Consult with legal counsel as directed to ensure effective and appropriate administration of policies and procedures.
• Work with hiring offices to guide the recruitment and selection process for staff positions, including authorization, posting and advertising, gathering of applications and resumes, interviewing, reference and background checks, and documentation of employment offers.
• Provide technical assistance to supervisors and employees on personnel matters including recruitment, benefits, and resolution of employee complaints.
• Work directly with and advise supervisors to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities on human resources matters. Assist in drafting and communicating performance improvement plans and documenting corrective action.
• Assess employee benefit needs and classifications and pay ranges for staff. Collaborate with colleagues in Financial Services to develop recommendations for and administer a comprehensive compensation and benefit package to support recruitment and retention of qualified personnel.
• Serve as the primary liaison with benefits providers to assure efficient operations and prompt resolution of benefit issues.
• Respond to employee related issues such as employee complaints, harassment allegations and civil rights complaints. Investigate misconduct or refer complaints to the Civil Rights/Title IX Coordinator as appropriate.
• Evaluate human resources systems and processes and collaborate with governance groups to assure efficiency, effectiveness and continuous improvement and clear communication with employees. Submit recommendations for improvement through established governance channels.
• Lead, guide and encourage the HR staff in a teamwork environment to support the mission and values of the college.
• Oversee department budget and establish budget priorities in preparing budget requests.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field from an accredited university.
• Five years of professional human resource administration experience, including at least two years in a leadership role.
• Comprehensive knowledge of employment law.
• Competency in HR technology and software applications.
• Able to interact and communicate effectively in a clear, concise and compassionate manner with a wide range of constituents and to maintain strict confidentiality of personnel matters.
• Superior interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.
• Able to gather and analyze information to prepare concise, coherent written reports.
• Experience in public speaking to diverse audiences.
• Strong prioritization, problem-solving and organizational skills
• Demonstrated ability to understand, implement and create policy.
• Master’s degree
• PHR or SPHR certification.
• Experience, training or certification in organizing and conducting workplace investigations, Title IX investigations or other civil rights investigations.
• Training in conflict resolution or mediation.
Working at a computer for extended periods. Able to participate actively in meetings in various locations across campus.
For full consideration, submissions should include:
• Letter of interest that responds to the opportunities outlined in this document
• Names, email addresses and phone numbers of four professional references. References will not be contacted without permission of the candidate.
Please submit application materials in PDF format to HRSearch@alma.edu. Review of applications will begin May 21, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College has over 400 employees, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.