The director of marketing is the college’s lead “design thinker,” collaborating with campus colleagues and vendors in the planning, coordination and production of marketing initiatives. This person is a steward of the college brand, responsible for assuring consistent and appropriate use of the college’s graphic standards and determining the best media and distribution approaches to convey Alma’s key messages. In addition to supervising the work of the creative staff, the director is also directly involved in the preparation of marketing materials and graphic content for various communication media.
The director of marketing reports to the chief operating officer and supervises the graphic designer, social media strategist, web content strategist, digital media coordinator and student interns.
• Work collaboratively with the chief operating officer and the associate vice president for communications to plan, direct and implement goals and action plans for the Communication and Marketing Office that are consistent with the college’s strategic goals, effectively promote Alma College to target audiences, and increase the college’s local, regional and national visibility.
• As a member of an integrated marketing team, define the college’s key messages, articulate the value of an Alma education, and determine the appropriate media mix.
• Develop creative solutions to a variety of marketing challenges presented by our campus clients, with particular emphasis on collaboration with admissions and advancement. Manage the process from design to delivery including content development, design, and vendor communication for print collateral and for environmental, digital and social media that deliver the college’s messages to specific audiences.
• Work with campus partners to determine the most effective means to reach target audiences. Set goals, identify content and establish timelines for marketing initiatives. Foster and maintain positive relationships.
• Coordinate production of all publications and media placement. Determine division of assignments and allocate work to staff as needed. Assure quality outcomes.
• Serve as liaison with external vendors to monitor quality of service and intervene as necessary to resolve vendor-related problems.
• Assure consistent brand messaging. Adhere to graphic standards and the college style guide. Serve as liaison with the college’s licensing partner to assure that trademarks are applied appropriately.
• Identify outcome measures to determine effectiveness of various marketing initiatives and contribute to development and maintenance of a marketing dashboard for outcomes.
• Continuously search for more effective methods to utilize emerging communication tools.
• Manage assigned budget lines within authorized limits, including those for publications, brand and institutional marketing, and supplies. Assist partner offices to develop priorities for departmental publication budgets. Review and prioritize solicitations for placement of marketing messages. Adhere to purchasing policies.
• Train and supervise staff and student-workers; assure assignments remain within budgeted hours.
Baccalaureate degree in graphic design, integrated media studies or a related field, plus at least three years of professional experience as a creative director. Strong aesthetic, conceptual, technical and communication skills. Experience preparing and managing press-run projects. Strong time management and organizational skills to manage multiple projects under deadlines. Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite applications, web processes and social media. Receptive to constructive criticism and willing to make revisions as necessary. Able to work collaboratively with office colleagues, faculty, students and staff across all disciplines.
Masters degree in related field. Experience in design for higher education.
Working at a computer for extended periods. Able to participate actively in meetings in various locations across campus. Lifting up to 20 pounds of equipment.
For full consideration, submit a cover letter, resume and link to your on-line portfolio by email to the search committee at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on February 1, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.