Alma College recognized four individuals with Presidential Awards for Excellence at the 2017 Awards and Recognition Reception for Administrative and Support Staff.
Sheila Boyer, office associate for the Center for Student Opportunity, and Rich Judge, custodial supervisor, received the awards for support staff. Sarah Dehring, associate athletic director and senior women’s administrator, and John MacArthur, director of institutional research, received the Presidential Awards for administrators.
Faculty, administrators and support staff members nominate non-faculty colleagues for final selection by the president and vice presidents. The award winners each received an engraved plaque and $250 award.
Boyer was nominated for her professionalism, integrity and support for administrative staff. “She presents new methods that streamline our processes so that we are better able to focus on students,” wrote her nominator. “Her role is to provide assistance when needed; however, she anticipates needs and offers support before it is requested. She is essential to the CSO and its ability to be a resource for students.”
Judge was nominated for his excellent supervisory skills and ability to work effectively with his staff. “He comes to work with a smile and puts in the extra hours when needed to make sure everything is kept up on the manner the college expects,” wrote his nominator. “Rich steps up to each challenge and helps his department work through the changes with little disruption to daily duties.”
Dehring was nominated for her efforts to encourage student-athletes to engage in community volunteerism and her active participation on a large number of campus committees. “She inspires teams and individuals to be active and caring members of the communities in which they live,” wrote her nominator. “Sarah is dedicated to our college and community, and her passion for being an active citizen through advocacy and service is infectious.”
MacArthur was nominated for his work in making data accessible to campus stakeholders. “In a data-rich environment, John always finds a way to parse out the important details and bring forward the points our campus needs to hear in order to grow and reach strategic goals,” wrote his nominator. “Being able to read, analyze and compile data in a meaningful way is a true skill. He reports data quickly, but more importantly, with a positive attitude.”
Outstanding Commitment to Service
The service and leadership initiative areas of the Center for Student Opportunity selected Ruggie Ramereiz, associate director of admissions, and Brandy Lowe, records specialist in advancement, as the recipients of the Outstanding Commitment to Service Award.
Ramereiz was recognized for the many ways he engages with local schools. He conducts mock interviews with high school seniors, guest reads in a kindergarten classroom, volunteers with 4H and child’s advocacy programs, judges the Maple Syrup and Highland Festival pageants, and serves as a part of the ambassador program with the Gratiot Chamber of Commerce.
Lowe was honored for her dedication to local Girl Scouts programs and for being a role model for young girls in the community. A Girl Scout leader for six years, Lowe is the product manager for both the cookie sales and candy and nut fundraisers for Gratiot County. She also helps plan the annual Girl Scout Lock-In that occurs in the Stone Recreation Center every February.
Administrators, Support Staff Receive Service Awards
Alma College employees received Length of Service Awards at the annual recognition ceremony.
- Susan Dinwoody, academic secretary
- Jan Pratt, facilities and service management office associate
- Karen Lake, custodian
- Kathy Doran, registrar office associate
- Alan Crowley, director, enterprise information systems
- Kelly Austin, enrollment administrative assistant
- Lona Barton, admissions office associate
- Sandee Gadde, executive assistant to the president.
- Lori Hick, student life office associate
- Tracy Howd, athletics administrative assistant
- JoAnna Soto, nursing program secretary
- Phil Andre, program director and instructor of athletic training
- Gayla Harrier, custodian
- Dan Henris, associate vice president for finance/controller
- Tony King, manager, user services
- Marilyn Laurenz, accounts payable associate
- Ruth Majerle, associate director for regional admissions
- Tammy Rees, director of campus recreation and conferences
- Jennifer Showers, licensed professional counselor
- Cassie Tennant, director of financial services/assistant controller
- Darrell Waldron, IT senior programmer/analyst
- Virginia Blandford, education department specialist
- Heidi Holland, payroll specialist
- Danielle Knight, director of clinical instruction/instructor athletic training
- Greg Pscodna, head football coach
- Pete Ragsdale, custodian
- Rachael Rose, custodian
- David Ryder, custodian
- Amy Seeley, custodian
- Danielle Smith, Greek advisor/weekend program coordinator and Wright Ave. Apt. manager
- Ryan Sullivan, custodian
- Janet Beetley, custodian
- Dan Martin, custodian
- Lynn Rather, custodian
- Mary Ellen Yost, CSO office associate