The Future Teacher Scholarship, in the amount of $1,500 per year, is awarded to applicants who intend to pursue teacher certification in a shortage area (e.g., mathematics, science, and special education) or are members of underrepresented groups in the current teaching workforce. Applicants should be able to demonstrate potential for academic excellence and a commitment to the teaching profession.
Only incoming students in the fall 2020 class or later interested in studying education are eligible for the award.
Responsibilities for scholarship recipients include:
- Enrolling in at least one Teacher Education course every academic year
- Being approved into the Teacher Education Program by the end of their sophomore year
- Maintaining a 3.0 GPA in Education courses and 2.75 in their teaching subject (endorsement) area(s) to continue receiving scholarship funds
- Participating in teacher recruitment and appreciation activities
- Setting an example of ethically high standards for your peers, professors, college administration, and community colleagues in both on-campus and school placement contexts
- Continuing to (a) meet eligibility requirements as outlined in the scholarship description and (b) pursue teacher certification
Scholarship recipients will be reviewed yearly by education faculty to determine if the requirements of the award are being met, the scholarship will not be renewed for students who do not continue to meet scholarship requirements.