In order to maintain a positive working relationship with libraries who lend to Alma College, the Alma College Interlibrary Loan department has adopted the following policies regarding loan periods and overdue interlibrary loan materials.
Loan policies for Interlibrary Loan (ILL) materials
- Loan periods are established by the lending library, but are generally about four weeks. These loan periods must be respected.
- Renewals may be possible, but this is at the discretion of the lending library.
- If the lending library denies the renewal request, or recalls an item before it is due, the ILL department will offer to order a copy of the item from another institution.
- Ideally, renewals should be requested on or before the original due date and may be requested by phone (989.463.7345), by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or in person if necessary. We’ll follow up with an email confirming the new due date that is set by the lending library.
- Lending libraries sometimes require that their materials be used only in the library, or that they not be photocopied. ILL will not waive such restrictions for individuals.
Overdue policies for Interlibrary Loan (ILL) materials
Interlibrary Loan books are lent as a courtesy by another library. In order to maintain a positive working relationship with libraries who lend to Alma College, we must adhere to the due dates and restrictions imposed by that library. Please help us to keep good relationships with the libraries we borrow from by returning your materials in a timely manner.
- When an Interlibrary Loan item is long overdue, or damaged, the lending library may ask Alma College Library to pay for the item. When this happens, the patron will be notified, via email, that s/he must return the overdue item immediately, or else pay the replacement cost of the item.
- Failure to return an ILL item, or pay the fee, after this point will result in a bill that will be charged to the borrower’s account with the Alma College Business Office, for the replacement cost of the item, plus a $5 processing fee.
- Refunds for replacement charges are not possible if a check has already been sent to the lending library.