Faculty Guidelines for Placing Items on Reserve
SUBMITTING MATERIAL FOR LIBRARY RESERVES:
- We require faculty wishing to place library-owned materials on reserve to retrieve those items themselves.
- Please bring all items you require for your course to the circulation desk, along with a completed library reserve request form, available at the circulation desk. You may provide a copy of your syllabus and/or reading list.
- Be sure to include the title under which you wish the item to appear when it is viewed in our catalog. We have found that if you use the same title information for the reserve listing that you use on your syllabus, the students are more likely to select the correct reading. (Note: Library-owned material must appear under the title used in the on-line catalog.)
- Also, please be sure to indicate whether or not an item may leave the library overnight. Note: Items obtained through Inter-Library Loan may not be placed on reserve.
RESERVES PROCESSING TIME:
- When placing items on reserve, please allow sufficient time for those materials to be processed.
- Later in the term, we can often get items processed on the same day that we receive them. However, whenever possible and especially at the beginning of each term, please allow three business days to process the materials for your course.
- No items can be processed for reserve over the weekend, so be sure to bring items in during regular business hours (8 am - 5 pm, Monday - Friday).
- In general, it’s safest to submit items for processing several days before you want them to be available to your students.
- Faculty members must supply photocopies of articles to be used for reserve reading.
- Use the guideline of one copy of an article for every ten students.
- All photocopies and other reproductions may be subject to copyright restrictions. For library copyright guidelines, see here.
WHO OWNS THE MATERIAL:
- Personal copies of books not in the library’s collection will be accepted for reserve.
- We will process personal items placed on reserve by adhering stickers and a pocket, unless requested to do otherwise.
LENGTH OF RESERVE:
- Items are placed on reserve for one term at a time.
- At the end of each term, all items are removed from reserve. While this may be an inconvenience, it aids in clarity of record keeping and organization of limited space, as well as in hopefully fostering better copyright compliance.
- At the end of each term, the library will supply circulation or use statistics on the items which you have placed on reserve. We hope that these statistics will be helpful in making decisions about which items to place on reserve in the future.
SPECIAL REQUESTS for your reserves can be arranged with the Circulation Manager, Cristy Omans at x7229.
To view your Course Reserve listings go to https://alma.kohalibrary.com/app/course-reserves