Coronavirus Mitigation and Student Relief Fund
While the COVID-19 pandemic continues to unfold, Alma College is still working to maintain exceptional educational experiences in these new and challenging circumstances. With the move to shelter-in-place in Michigan, Alma transitioned to an online educational delivery system in days. Staff worked tirelessly to safely send international students home, bring domestic students home who were studying abroad, and provide safe on-campus accommodations for those students who were unable to leave.
In order to prevent students from having to shoulder undue financial burdens as a result of the disruption of the Coronavirus pandemic, the college reimbursed students for losses from cancelled spring term travel, refunded $25 per day for unused room and board, and arranged for transportation home for our international students.
Looking ahead, we know that in order to ensure student health and safety we will need to provide masks, sanitizer and cleaning supplies, as well as additional online and in-person programs and services, to support our students in continuing their education. In addition, we anticipate a number of students facing a need for increased financial assistance, given the economic impact of the pandemic.
These steps are essential but challenging, and our finance office projects between $2,000,000 and $2,500,000 in non-budgeted expenses related to the pandemic. Philanthropic support directed toward the Coronavirus Mitigation and Student Relief Fund will enable Alma’s faculty and staff to continue to provide students with a characteristically extraordinary level of care and support during the crisis.
With the Annual Fund, you have options:
Alma Fund – Did you know that tuition, room and board only cover 80% of Alma’s yearly expenses? The remaining 20% is provided mostly through philanthropy. A gift to the Alma Fund provides flexible, immediate-use resources for emergency financial assistance, campus safety enhancements, co-curricular programs, as well as other expenses that enrich campus life. Alma Fund dollars have the same impact as tuition dollars - they fund everything that makes Alma special.
Scot Scholarship Fund – Many of our students rely on scholarships to keep an Alma education within reach. In fact, 100% of Alma College students receive some form of financial assistance. Your gift to the Scot Scholarship Fund enables students to have experiences that set the course for success in their lives and careers. Below are some ways your gift could help a student:
- Presidential Scholarship ~ $25,000
- Achievement Award ~ $21,000
- Merit Scholarship for one semester ~ $10,500
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) scholarship ~ $5,000
- Underwrite a student’s Alma Venture ~ $2,500
- Sponsor an opportunity award for a diversity student ~ $2,000
- Out-of-state student scholarship ~ $2,000
- E-Sports scholarship ~ $1,500
- Faith Leadership scholarship ~ $1,500
- Dance team scholarship ~ $1,500
- Future Teacher scholarship ~ $1,500
- Performing arts scholarship ~ $1,500
- Spring Term Grant ~ $500
Jungle, Grove and Campus Fair Fund - Named for the second verse of the college’s alma mater, the “Jungle, Grove, and Campus Fair” Fund helps to maintain the beauty and welcoming nature of Alma’s campus and also supports the college’s operating budget. Below are some ways you can impact the campus.
- Provide for maintenance of Greek housing ~ $25,000 (carpet, paint, general repairs)
- Provide for repaving of campus parking lots ~ $20,000
- Underwrite campus sidewalk repair ~ $20,000
- Underwrite the carpeting of the Stone Recreation Center ~ $15,000
- Refurbish a class room ~ $15,000
- Trim and maintain campus trees ~ $10,000
- Remodel a room at the Wright Avenue Apartments ~ $7,500
- Carpet a small housing unit ~ $5,000
- Provide seasonal flowers across campus ~ $5,000
- Support weed and grass control for a month ~ $2,500
- Fund yearly maintenance of Newberry Beach - $1,000
- Weed and refresh a campus garden ~ $1,000
Academic Excellence Fund – The Academic Excellence Fund provides resources for technology enhancements, lab supplies, experiential learning programs and more. By choosing this option, you can support student learning broadly— strengthening the academic heart of the college — or direct your gift to a specific academic program.
Scot Loyalty Fund – With more than 500 students on 25 teams, a gift to the Scot Loyalty Fund provides necessary resources for all athletic teams, providing for the cost of uniforms, team travel, tournament participation and more. Give to the Scot Loyalty Fund to benefit the entire athletic program or designate your gift to support a favorite team.
Sponsor an Alma Venture – With a gift of $2,500, you can now sponsor an individual Alma Venture — whether it’s a research project, an internship, or an off-campus study experience.