The CARES Act provides funding to colleges and universities to assist students through cash grants and to support schools with costs incurred by moving to on-line instruction and campus closures. Half of the funding provided through this act to schools is designated to go directly to students in the form of cash grants. The second half of the funding is designated for the school to use but is not specific to students.
Do I qualify for funding?
Students do not need to apply for these cash grants. Alma College will be distributing funding to all students who meet the following:
- Attended winter term full time (12 credits or more) as determined by registration on the census date January 17, 2020 and did not withdraw prior to March 18, 2020, when the college ended in-person classes.
- Per requirements set by the grant, to qualify, a student must be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen, have a valid SSN, registered for Selective Service, obtained a high school diploma, GED, or completion of high school in an approved homeschool setting.
- Students must have filed a 2019-20 FAFSA and be eligible for Title IV aid. *
- The amount each student will receive is based on a student’s financial need, as determined by the FAFSA, so the grant amount will not be the same for every student and is not negotiable.
- Funding must be distributed directly to the student.
*Students who have not yet filed the 2019 – 2020 FAFSA you must do so by May 18 and notify the Aid Office of your filing by emailing FinAid@alma.edu. Once we receive your email notice and the FAFSA we will verify that all requirements were met for Title IV aid eligibility and we will notify you of the determination. If determined to be eligible the maximum grant amount for a student who files the 2019 – 2020 FAFSA after April 20, 2020 is $325.
How do I receive the funding?
Grant funding will be distributed directly to the student by a mailed check or direct deposit. If you have opted in to direct deposit for any reason it will go directly to the account you setup. If there is no direct deposit information on file it will be mailed to your preferred mailing address on file. Any changes must be made by Thursday, May 14 at 8:00 a.m. Direct deposits and checks will be processed on Friday, May 15.
- If your address needs updated, please contact the financial aid office at email@example.com
- If you need to update or add direct deposit information, please do this through self-service. (directions)
- For assistance, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have questions about the grant itself or filing the FAFSA please contact the Financial Aid Office at FinAid@alma.edu.