Occupants or those working in each building should know the location of fire extinguishers, fire exits, and alarm systems.
Protocol Action Steps
- If an emergency exists, activate the building alarm (fire alarm).
- Call 911. Then evacuate all rooms, closing all doors to confine the fire and reduce oxygen available to it. Do not lock doors.
- Assist those with disabilities to exit the building.
- Do not use the elevators during a fire.
- Smoke is the greatest danger in a fire, so stay near the floor where the air will be less toxic.
- Once outside, move to a clear area at least 100 feet away from the affected building. Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrants and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
- If requested, assist emergency crews as necessary.
- A campus emergency command post may be set up near the emergency site. Keep clear of the Command Post unless you have official business.
Do not return to an evacuated building unless told to do so by a college official or Alma Fire Department official.
Roles & Responsibilities
- After 911 has been notified and building is evacuated, notify Campus Safety who will contact the president and notify Director of FSM of situation.
- If President is not available, the Director of FSM will continue to next VP on the Crisis Management Team (CMT).
- The president or his designee will determine whether to convene the CMT for further action and will direct the associate vice president for communications to initiate the campus alert system with the appropriate dialogue for the situation.