Browse Majors & Minors
The Writing Minor at Alma College is designed to facilitate purposeful writing across a wide spectrum of contexts and genres.
The writing minor is designed to facilitate purposeful writing across a wide spectrum of contexts and genres. This minor couples well with nearly every major discipline as it offers students the opportunity to hone their writing skills in their major field of interest. At its core, the writing minor emphasizes how vital clear, purposeful writing is to many, varied disciplines.
24 Credits from any of the following:
|ENG 201: Advanced Rhetoric||ENG 202: Digital Rhetoric|
|ENG 203: Professional Writing||ENG 204: Visual & Design Rhetoric|
|ENG 210: Teaching Writing||
ENG 220: Foundations of Literary Argument
|ENG 270: Writing for the Media||ENG 290: Poetry Workshop I|
|ENG 291: Fiction Workshop I||ENG 292: Playwriting Workshop I|
|ENG 293: Creative Nonfiction Workshop||ENG 294: Screenwriting Workshop I|
|ENG 295: Grant Writing||
ENG 296: Cross-Genre Workshop
|ENG 370: Journalistic Studies & Projects||ENG 390: Poetry Workshop II|
|ENG 391: Fiction Workshop II||ENG 392: Playwriting Workshop II|
|ENG 393: Creative Nonfiction Workshop II||ENG 385: Internship Experience (see below)|
|ENG 394: Screenwriting Workshop II|
- A single 4-credit writing-intensive internship experience (ENG 385) can be included in the 24 credits with prior departmental approval.
- A single approved writing-intensive course offered by another department maybe included in the 24 credits if a student petitions the department. A list of approved substitutes is maintained by the department.
To best promote purposeful writing across genres, minors are encouraged to explore optional writing tracks. These tracks align the courses listed above with potential professional, disciplinary, or creative fields a student wants to prepare for and engage with. Students should consider the tracks below and match them with their interests or post-graduation goals.
Current tracks include:
- Business Writing Track
- ENG 202, ENG 203, ENG 204, ENG 270, ENG 293, ENG 295
- Creative Writing Track
- ENG 290/390, ENG 291/391, ENG 292/392, ENG 293/393, ENG 294/394
- Journalism & Media Writing Track
- ENG 201, ENG 202, ENG 203, ENG 204, ENG 270, ENG 370
- Academic & Teaching Writing Track
- ENG 201, ENG 202, ENG 203, ENG 204, ENG 210, ENG 220
Course descriptions are maintained on the English Department website, here.
The English Department announces its writing contest winners for 2019.