Alma students are required to complete two Spring Term courses, one of which must be an “S” course that crosses geographical, cultural or disciplinary boundaries. In other words, domestic or international travel!
Over the years, many Alma students have participated in Theatre courses that take advantage of the unique format of Alma Spring Term. The Theatre Department has offered a wide array of different kinds of Spring Term opportunities.
Previous Theatre Spring Term courses include:
- We produced a production of the musical Threepenny Opera in collaboration with the Music Department.
- We produced a children’s theatre production that toured to Michigan elementary schools.
- We produced a theatre production that toured to Michigan high schools.
- A New York Theatre trip where we experienced ten theatre productions, six dance productions, had backstage tours, visited art museums and saw many famous New York locations. We saw productions on Broadway, Off Broadway, Off-Off Broadway and with major New York theatre companies.
- An England Theatre trip where we experienced nine theatre productions and four dance productions in London and visited Stratford-upon-Avon where we saw Shakespeare’s birthplace and experienced three theatre productions with The Royal Shakespeare Company. We did guided backstage tours and visited many famous locations in London and Stratford.
- A Canada and Michigan Theatre trip where we experienced five theatre productions in three different theatres at The Stratford Festival in Stratford, Ontario, five theatre productions in three different theatres at The Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario and also saw productions at The Purple Rose Theatre in Chelsea, at The Williamston Theatre in Williamston and at Performance Network in Ann Arbor.
- Conducted intense Advanced Stage Combat workshops, produced a combat video with the students involved and attended a national stage combat conference in Atlanta, Georgia.
Stage Combat Video - Spring Term 2015
Short Fight Video with Graham Morgan and Matt Crossman
- Offered intense Scene Painting courses where we turned the Strosacker Theatre into a scene painting studio. The students learned a variety of painting techniques that culminated in a number of scene painting projects.