Highly trained in skills like resume development, networking and interviewing, the career peer advisors provide one-on-one assistance to their fellow classmates during convenient evening hours.
To help us deliver the right amount of personal attention, the CSO employs a staff of career peer advisors who are trained on:
- Resume development and critique
- Cover letter/personal statement review
- Job/internship search strategies
- Effective networking and using LinkedIn.com
- Mock interviews
- Personal branding assistance
Career Peer Advisors are available to take appointments during times when classes are in session. You can schedule an appointment on Handshake. (Need help? The friendly folks at the CSO welcome desk can walk you through the process.) Drop-ins are welcome, too!
Please come to your appointment with a draft resume or list of jobs, leadership positions, and activities in which you have participated. Not sure how to get started on a resume draft? Check out our resume development resources for information.
Career Peer Advisor Resume Development Process
To provide the greatest service to Alma College students, we take a comprehensive approach to resume development and critique. Many students have multiple appointments and/or communicate with us via email. Here’s what you can expect:
- If you have a resume, we’ll provide a critique based on the CSO’s standards for resumes. If your document needs significant work, we’ll suggest another appointment to review the changes you make.
- If you don’t have a resume, we’ll cover resume development and help you brainstorm content and determine format. We’ll suggest another appointment to provide a critique of your first draft.
- We’ll review your resume in its current state and provide additional suggestions. Depending on your progress, you may have additional appointments at this stage.
- When your resume is ready we will pass it to the Career Development professional staff members, who will critique it and return the edits to us.
- We will arrange an appointment with you to review the professional staff’s edits. At the conclusion of this appointment, you should have a final resume that has the CSO’s approval.
Note: This entire process can take 2-3 weeks, depending on the amount of time you have to spend on your resume. It’s lengthy, but worth it to develop a polished resume!