Highly trained in skills like resume development, networking and interviewing, the peer consultants provide one-on-one assistance to their fellow classmates during convenient evening hours.
To help us deliver the right amount of personal attention, the CSO employs a staff of peer consultants who are trained on:
- Resume development and critique
- Cover letter/personal statement review
- Job/internship search strategies
- Effective networking and using LinkedIn.com
- Mock interviews
- Personal branding assistance
Peer consultants are available Monday through Thursday from 5-8 pm in the CSO.
You can schedule an appointment on Handshake. (Need help? The friendly folks at the CSO welcome desk can walk you through the process.) Drop-ins are welcome, too!
Please come to your appointment with a draft resume or list of jobs, leadership positions, and activities in which you have participated. Not sure how to get started on a resume draft? Check out our resume development resources for information.
Peer Consultant Resume Development Process
To provide the greatest service to Alma College students, we take a comprehensive approach to resume development and critique. Many students have multiple appointments and/or communicate with us via email. Here’s what you can expect:
- If you have a resume, we’ll provide a critique based on the CSO’s standards for resumes. If your document needs significant work, we’ll suggest another appointment to review the changes you make.
- If you don’t have a resume, we’ll cover resume development and help you brainstorm content and determine format. We’ll suggest another appointment to provide a critique of your first draft.
- We’ll review your resume in its current state and provide additional suggestions. Depending on your progress, you may have additional appointments at this stage.
- When your resume is ready we will pass it to the Career Development professional staff members, who will critique it and return the edits to us.
- We will arrange an appointment with you to review the professional staff’s edits. At the conclusion of this appointment, you should have a final resume that has the CSO’s approval.
Note: This entire process can take 2-3 weeks, depending on the amount of time you have to spend on your resume. It’s lengthy, but worth it to develop a polished resume!