Browse Majors & Minors
Your Alma education will give you hands on experience and the opportunity to dive deep into courses across departments that will help prepare you to be competitive in your field.
A Liberal Arts Approach
At Alma, you will have access to courses across departments that are beneficial to a career in therapy. These courses include, but are not limited to, biomechanics, therapeutic modalities/exercise (taught by a licensed PT), health communication, molecular aspects of muscle physiology and health care administration.
- You will get hands on experience with dissection in the Human Anatomy lab.
- Alma offers courses on Therapeutic Modalities and Therapeutic Exercise taught by a physical therapist.
- You have the ability to dive deep into skeletal muscle in Molecular Aspects of Muscle Physiology. During the lab component of this course they will culture and experiment on skeletal muscle cells.
What Will You Do?
Physical Therapy is one of the most popular pre-professional tracks within the IPHS department. Some of the reasons students are attracted to this pre-professional track are:
- Physical Therapists provide services that help restore function, improve mobility, relieve pain and prevent or limit permanent physical disabilities of patients suffering from injuries or disease.
- Physical Therapists can practice in hospitals, clinics, orthopedics, acute care, wound care, post-operative, and cardiovascular and pulmonary rehabilitation settings.
- Employment with a Physical Therapy degree is continuing to grow with numerous settings to choose from.
In general, those with a doctorate of physical therapy will practice as a physical therapist or work in research. Individuals may practice in a variety of settings such as:
- Acute Care
- Rehabilitation Hospital
- Extended Care Facility /Nursing Home
- Outpatient Clinic or Private Practice
- Wellness/Prevention/Fitness Setting
- Home Health
- Industrial Setting
- Local, State, and Federal Government
- Research Center
Articulation Agreement with CMU
Alma College has an articulation agreement with Central Michigan University (CMU). This agreement allows the college to submit the names of two qualified students each year for reserved spots in CMU’s Doctor of Physical Therapy program.
Where Will You Go?
Your Alma education will prepare you to continue your path towards a career that focuses on your particular academic interest or speciality.
Some of the schools our alumni have chosen are:
- Central Michigan University
- Duke University
- San Diego State University
- University of Michigan – Flint
- Western Michigan University
- The American Physical Therapy Association: professional and student pages, list of accredited programs