Browse Majors & Minors
Lass uns gemeinsam die Welt entdecken!
Let us explore the world together!
Our German Program is small, but it has developed rapidly over the years and offers a wide range of opportunities to both majors and minors.
We not only teach the standard courses to our German majors and minors but are also a vital part of the liberal arts education that Alma College strives to provide. Dr. Liu teaches an interdisciplinary Spring Term course called Remembrance of the Past: Holocaust and the Cold
War in Berlin, and brings students to Berlin, Auschwitz and Krakow. Faculty and the native-speaking language assistants work closely with students in- and outside of the classroom to support students’ personal interests.
Cultural Events and Opportunities
To supplement German courses, we offer a bi-weekly German Table (Stammtisch) for you to practice speaking in a relaxing setting and screen 3-4 German Films each semester that focus on German history and culture. Together with the German Club, we organize a series of cultural events each year, such as Oktoberfest, Remembrance of the Fall of the Berlin Wall, Christmas Caroling, Weihnachtsmarkt, German plays and the department’s annual Karneval in March.
We invite you to spend several minutes to browse around, and you will then know Alma’s German program better! Lass uns gemeinsam die Welt entdecken!
TJ Miller’s summer internship at BASF was “an incredible experience.” He says, “The skills I’ve gained over the past couple of years demonstrate why ‘plaid works’ for me.”
Did you know?
- The EU language with the largest number of native speakers is German.
- Germany is home to numerous international corporations.
- German is no harder to learn to speak and write than other languages.
- German is the second-most commonly used scientific language.
- German is the language of Goethe, Nietzsche and Kafka. Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Freud and Einstein also spoke German.
- In many regions, Germans account for the largest percentage of tourists.
List courtesy of the American Association of German Teachers