Not sure where to begin? We’re here to help you every step of the way.
Our team will be glad to answer your questions and walk you through the application and financial aid process. If you’re not sure if the program is right for you, contact the program director, check out our FAQ, or download Your MFA Decision Journal to help you better understand your motivations and goals.
- College transcripts for each college or university attended
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resume
- A creative writing sample.
- Length: A maximum of 25 pages for fiction or creative nonfiction, a maximum of 10 pages for poetry (no more than one poem per page).
- Personal essay (3-4 pages)
In this essay please address the following:
- Discuss your specific interest in the Alma College MFA and your preparation for pursuing a formal study of creative writing
- Your strengths and weaknesses as a writer
- Goals for your two years in the program
- Additional experience including what you can bring to our artistic community
- Literature essay (3-4 pages).
In this essay please discuss the books and writers that have influenced you.
- Two letters of recommendation.
There is no application fee.
- Summer Residency - May 1, 2021
- Winter Residency - November 1, 2021
You will receive an admission decision in two weeks.
Tuition & Fees
The tuition for each six-month term is $9,000. An annual fee of $1,000 covers housing and meals on the Alma campus and at the Ralph A. MacMullan Conference Center. The graduating residency fee is $975. Additional expenses include books and travel to and from Michigan twice a year or, optionally, to Oxford, England once.
Our students take advantage of the program’s low residency format to continue with their current employment and finance their education from their own resources. Students are encouraged to complete the free application for federal student aid (FAFSA).