Alma College’s Public Affairs Institute offers a productive way to combine understanding of public affairs with any major. If you have led your high school student body, served on committees or provided leadership in a community organization, a knowledge of public affairs might appeal to you.
In the Institute’s courses, you’ll consider issues, policies and decisions that affect the public interest. You’ll gain experience in
- Identifying important public issues.
- Understanding various political perspectives.
- Researching and analyzing public policy.
- Communication between governments, private interests and the public.
- Interacting with professionals your fields of interest through meetings with visiting scholars political leaders and working in public or nonprofit organizations.
- Developing public policy within humane, ethical framework.
This application must be submitted by April 1.
You must be accepted for admission by the College. See Alma College Application for Admissions.
Provide a brief written summary of your leadership involvement in extracurricular activities or community affairs. These may include your involvement with youth, church, political, recreational, educational or charitable organizations. Explain (1) your role in each organization; (2) the length of your service; and (3) the skills you developed through your participation.