Department of State Registration
Students and their families should be aware that the U.S. Department of State maintains a website for U.S. citizen students who are, or will be, studying abroad. It may be found at Department of State for students abroad and addresses the following subject areas:
- Enrolling one’s presence abroad with the nearest U.S. Embassy through the STEP Enrollment Program
- Checking country-specific conditions as well as travel warnings and alerts
- Offering students travel safety and other traveling tips
The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.
STEP allows a person to enter information about an upcoming trip abroad so that the U.S. Department of State can better assist in an emergency. Family members can also use this site to stay up to date on events happening within the country of their family traveler.
Register a trip with the US State Department using the online service
- You have the option of Enrolling a Trip, or if you’re a frequent traveler, Creating an Account. With either option, follow the instructions provided.
- Enrolling a Trip involves providing basic information about yourself, the trip, and contact details of someone not traveling with you, in the event of an emergency.
- Creating an Account will collect the same data as Enrolling a Trip, but it also allows you to create a username and password for access to travel data at any time, and saves personal information so that it can be used again whenever traveling abroad.