Teaching Major Requirements
Thirty-six credits (thirty-four of which must be beyond SPN 203) and which must include:
- Successful completion of SPN 321.
- At least four credits at the 400 level.
- At least four credits from each of the following groups:
- Spain Culture and Civilization - SPN 350, 355, 261/361
- Latin American Culture and Civilization - SPN 334, 352, 364, 374, 263/363
- Literature - SPN 331, 340, 343, 344, 360, 362, 370, 372, 373, 460, 462
- Successful completion of ENG 225 and EDC 445F.
- A minimum of one semester of approved international study in a Spanish-speaking country.
- Students will write and defend, in open forum, an acceptable paper of moderate length reflecting on their study of Spanish, study abroad experience and how the role of language and culture combines with the mission of a liberal arts education.
In order to be recommended for teacher certification, students must pass the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification subject area test in Spanish as well as the ACTFL - OPI at the Advanced-Low level. The Teacher Education Program is proactive about informing students of opportunities for taking these tests.