Alma College Dance Department
Performance Scholarships($1,500, renewable)
Performance Scholarships are available for students based on audition and faculty recommendation. Candidates for these are usually first-year and transfer students, but in some cases scholarships have been awarded to older students. If a student displays the talent, desire and the commitment to the dance department, follows all requirements of an active dance student and has the willingness to become highly involved with the dance department, these scholarship amounts may rise.
Responsibilities for these scholarships are as follows:
- Student must demonstrate technical skill and proficiency at the level at which the student arrived upon entering Alma College. You should arrive to begin your course and performance work injury free and be prepared to establish a mature approach to a theatrical aesthetic that includes maintaining a positive attitude, physical and mental wellness and health, and a good work ethic.
- Student must enroll in at least one dance technique course every semester.
- Student must show marked improvement in technique and maturity through the course of the year. At the end of Winter Semester an assessment with written evaluation will be conducted by the Dance Faculty.
- Student must maintain all of the same requirements as laid out in the Student Performer Responsibilities/Contract.
- Student must maintain a 3.0 GPA to continue receiving scholarship funds.
- Student should develop and demonstrate leadership skills by regularly offering service to the College, Theatre/Dance Department, and community in one or more of the following ways:
- Offer assistance to the dance instructors and staff.
- Serve as an active and effective member of Alma College Dance Department.
- Be a mentor to peers.
- Assist the Dance Department with mailings, auditions, and housing for prospective students.
- Initiate leadership by diplomatically offering recommendations.
- Set an example of ethically high standards for your peers, professors, college administration, and community colleagues.
- Seek out opportunities in the Alma College community, dance community, and community at large to bring awareness of dance to others.
- Be aware of and follow the policies in the student handbook (as found online).
Student must attend all rehearsals and performances of the Alma College Dance Department. If you receive offers for guest artist work with other companies or private schools, the dates you will be absent must be discussed and agreed upon in advance with choreographers and instructors.
Distinguished Scholarship in Dance($2,000 and up, renewable)
The Distinguished Scholarship responsibilities are based on the same requirements as the Performance Scholarships. Distinguished Scholarship recipients should maintain all the Alma College Dance Student responsibilities and are additionally responsible for:
- Being available for all audition and casting opportunities throughout the course of the academic year.
- Being enrolled in THD 201 & 301 – Choreography series; and THD 350 & 351 – Dance History series.
- Available on occasion for assistance with Dance Department related activities.
Scholarship Dismissal or Reduction
Although rare, if the contractual agreement signed by the student is not adhered to, the Dance Department will ask for a reduction of the scholarship, or dismissal from the dance program if necessary