Alma College is committed to creating a community free from any form of violence.
Sexual assault, stalking, sexual harassment, and abusive relationships all create trauma. You or someone you know may be a survivor, possibly experiencing feelings of:
Please reach out ...
Come talk with a counselor from the Counseling and Wellness Center at ext. 7225
If You've Been Recently Assaulted...
Know that no one's situation is the same. Whatever you choose is the right thing for you, and no one has the right to take control away from you. Some things to consider:
- Are you in a safe location?
- Is there a chance the assailant could return?
- Is there somewhere safer you could go (consider the Women's Aid Shelter if there is no where else)?
- Consider calling someone for support.
- There also are other resources available to you - please call us at 7225 for help.
- Medical care can provide injury treatment (you may have internal injuries you're unaware of)
- Prevention and assessment of sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy (prevention possible within the first 72 hours).
- Evidence Collection: Women's Aid Services, Inc. offers a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner program which can provide free rape evidence kits to survivors who wish to press charges. Emergency rooms also can perform rape evidence kits (ER will charge for kits if insurance not used/accepted)
- Criminal Suit- You may consult with police agencies (jurisdiction applies to where the assault occurred) about about options.
- Student Life- Results are confidential for both parties.
- Civil Suit- More punitive, rape shield does not apply.
Trauma – Survivors experience psychological and physiological affects after the trauma of a sexual assault. For many it may remain in their thoughts and daily life for a long period of time, months or years especially if they don't get the support they need. The Alma College Counseling and Wellness Center is a resource to start the healing process. Please call 7225 to make an appointment.