Appeals of disciplinary decisions are reviewed only if they are submitted in writing. Two types of appeals are possible:
- Appeals seeking a review of the procedures or
- Appeals based on new evidence not presented at original hearing.
All appeals must:
- Be submitted to the appeal agent no later than 48 hours after the student(s) or group has been notified of a decision. The appeal agent and their contact information will be designated in the decision letter.
- Specify whether the appeal is seeking a review of procedures and/or presenting new evidence.
- Provide the necessary detailed information to support their position.
Appeals typically will be heard by the person to whom the appeal was submitted, though this will not occur in all cases. If the appeal is heard by an individual other than the person to whom the appeal was submitted the student will be informed of the name of the appeals agent.
Based upon his/her review, the appeals agent may:
Confirm the original decision;
Return the case to the Hearing Agent for a new hearing
And/ or change the sanction(s) and/or the condition(s) originally imposed.
In all cases, the appeals agent will provide those concerned with the appeal with a written rationale for their decision. The decision of the appeal is considered final.
Last Updated 6/7/2017