John A Hawley III, Ph.D.
Service to the College
* Chair, Natural Science Division: As such, continued to redefine the Math, Science Technology Day (MSTD) making it into a much more dynamic and effective recruiting tool while showing high school students the wonderful things they can be involved in if they major in the sciences at Alma College. MSTD had the biggest turn out in years.
* Coordinated the effort to include the three academic divisons as part of the Atheletic recruitment day in January.
* Member of the First Year Experience Task Force
* Member of the President's Advisory Council
* Chair of the Educational Policy Committee: As such, lead the effort to create the new Alma College "Honors Program", and the effort to create two "Pathways" through Alma College: "Independent Scholarship" and "Service".
* Admissions/Recruitment representative for Mathematics and Computer Science Department. As such, participated in various recruiting functions. Contacted prospective students through personal letters, e-mail and telephone calls.
* Worked with Natural Science colleagues to write a grant proposal to the Science Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Program of NSF.
* Jointly, with Dr. McNally, designed, implemented and expanded the Annual Alma College Robotics Challenge. Successfully hosted the competition between 18 high school student teams from 9 schools as part of the Honors day activities. All had a great time and plan to participate again.