Timothy A Sipka
Associate Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science
Joined Alma College Faculty in 1979
Office Hours: MWF: 12:30-1:30; MTWTh 2:30-3:30
Download My Full Vita
- B.A., Anderson College (1975);
- M.A., M.S., Western Michigan University (1978 & 1979);
- M.S., Central Michigan University (1986)
Graph Theory, History of Mathematics, Problem Solving, and Mathematics Education
Recent Courses Taught
- Discrete Mathematical Structures. MTH 223.
- Elementary Statistics. MTH 116.
- Calculus 1. MTH 121.
- Introduction to Graph Theory. MTH 391.
- Timothy A Sipka. "A Generalization of the Pythagorean Theorem." Proceedings of the 15th Biennial Conference of the Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences. Huntington College. 193-97
- Timothy A Sipka (with John F. Putz). "On Generalizing the Pythagorean Theorem." College Mathematics Journal. 2003. Vol. 34. No. 4. 291-295. September 2003.
- Timothy A Sipka. "Alfred Bray Kempe's 'Proof' of the Four-Color Theorem." Math Horizons. 2002. Vol. 10. No. 2. 21-24. November 2002.
- Timothy Sipka.  "Alfred Kempe's "Proof" of the Four-Color Theorem." Calvin College Math Colloquium. Grand Rapids, MI. February 23, 2012.
- Timothy Sipka.  "Alfred Kempe's "Proof" of the Four-Color Theorem." Mathematics Colloquium. Hope College. October 20, 2011.
- Timothy Sipka.  "Are You Smarter Than A 19th Century Mathematician?." Albion College Math Colloquium. Albion College. October 2010.
- Timothy Sipka.  "Alfred Kempe's "Proof" of the Four-Color Theorem." Summer Undergraduate Research Institute. Michigan State University. June 2010.
- Timothy Sipka.  "An On-going Experiment with Posters." 37th Annual Mathematics Conference. Miami University. September 2009.
- Timothy Sipka.  ""VI.31: A Generalization of the Pythagorean Theorem"." 15th Biennial Conference of the Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences. Huntington College (IN). June 2, 2005.
Awards, Honors, Recognitions
- Andison Excellence in Teaching Award, 2010
- Outstanding Faculty Award in the Natural Sciences, 2007.
- Posey Award for Faculty Excellence, 1999.
- Pi Mu Epsilon
- Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences
- Mathematical Association of America
Service to the College
- Organized the Math Challenge for High School Students
- Pi Mu Epsilon (Math Honorary) advisor
- Organized the 18th annual MATH Challenge for College Students
- Math team advisor