Dr. Raymond Riley
Dr. Raymond Riley, professor of music, joined the Alma College music faculty in 1988. He holds a B.M. from the University of Illinois, an M.M. from DePaul University and a D.M.A. in applied piano from Michigan State University.
In addition to teaching piano and pursuing performance opportunities, he teaches courses in music technology, MIDI composition and arranging, digital audio recording, new media applications, and web audio techniques.
Dr. Riley is a frequent presenter and clinician for music and digital media technology conferences and workshops. A strong advocate for cross disciplinary study, he has worked closely with several faculty in the departments of Music, Art, Communications, English, and Biology to develop new courses and summer institute offerings, which have included topics in new media studies, web design, digital video documentary, and delivering streaming and interactive media over the Web.
- D.M.A., Michigan State University (1988)
- M.M, in Performance, DePaul University (1982)
- B.M in Performance, University of Illinois (1979)
Music Production, Digital Media Technology, Documentary Video, New Media, Web Design/Applications, Piano Literature and Performance
Recent Courses Taught
- Introduction to Digital Media. NMS 101.
- Music & Computers. MUS 215.
- MIDI Composition & Arranging. MUS 214.
Directed Student Presentations and Achievements
- Adam Ferrara: 2012 ASO Concerto Competition Winner
- Honors Day: "Virtually There: The Use of New Media by Collegiate Admissions
- Senior Recital (Justin Rito)
- Senior Capstone: Digital Portfolio Development
- Independent Study: Acoustic Modeling and Surround Sound
- Independent Study: Interactive Media Design
Selected Creative Works
- Raymond Riley.  "ASO Concert - Soloist." Piano Concerto No. 23 in A Major by Mozart. Heritage Center; Alma College. December 12, 2010.
- Raymond Riley.  "Video Production and Music Scoring with Final Cut Pro X." Michigan Music Conference. Grand Rapids, MI. Jan. 19, 2012.
- Raymond Riley.  "Presenting Rich Media Online: Web Standards and Best Practices." Association for Technology in Music Instruction. Richmond, VA. Oct. 20, 2011.
- Raymond Riley (with Andrew Thall).  "Advances in Audio Massage: A State of "Flex"." New Media Consortium. Madison, WI. June 15, 2011.
- Raymond Riley.  "Advances in Audio Massage: A State of "Flex"." Association for Technology in Music Instruction. Minneapolis, MN. Sep 25, 2010.
- Raymond Riley.  "Exploring Students' Creativity With GarageBand and Logic Studio." Michigan Music Conference. Grand Rapids, MI. Jan. 21, 2010.
- Raymond Riley.  "Producing Tutorial Videos: Best Practices in Screen Capture and Recording." Association for Technology in Music Instruction. Portland, OR. Oct. 22, 2009.
- See More...
- New Media Consortium
- Association For Technology In Music Instruction
- College Music Society
- Technology Institute for Music Educators
Service to the College
- Co-Chair, Music Department
- Chair of Educational Technology Committee
- New Media Studies & POE Advisor
Service to the Profession
- Instructional Technology and Information Services Committee, College Music Society
- Adjudicator: 2011 CMS Technology Initiative Award