B Cameron Reed, Ph.D.
Chair and Professor of Physics
Joined Alma College Faculty in 1992
Download My Full Vita
I have been on the Alma faculty since 1992. My teaching experience includes the full spectrum of undergraduate physics from freshman-level algebra-based PHY 112 to senior-level quantum mechanics. My research interests are primarly in the area of the history and physics of nuclear weapons (in particular, the Manhattan Project). I have also worked extensively on galactic structure (hot, blue stars) and made occasional forays into areas such as quantum physics and data analysis. I have published two textbooks and over 100 papers in peer-reviewed physics and astronomy journals. A third text, a synoptic history of the Manhattan Project, is in preparation and scheduled for publication in 2014.
- B.Sc. University of Waterloo (Canada) Physics 1977
- M.Sc. Queen's University (Canada) Physics 1979
- Ph.D. University of Waterloo (Canada) Physics 1984
Nuclear Physics, History of of the Manhattan Project; Astronomy, Galactic Structure, Quantum Physics. Over 100 publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Recent Courses Taught
- Dymanics. PHY 312.
- Introduction to Physics. PHY 121.
Selected Book Publications
- B Cameron Reed, Ph.D.. The History and Science of The Manhattan Project. Springer. 1 ed. November 1, 2013.
- B Cameron Reed, Ph.D.. The Physics of the Manhattan Project. Springer. 1st ed. January 1, 2011.
- B Cameron Reed, Ph.D.. Quantum Mechanics. Jones & Bartlett. 1st ed. January 15, 2008.
- B Cameron Reed, Ph.D.. "Book Review: Robert Oppenheimer: A Life Inside the Center." Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. August 28, 2013.
- B Cameron Reed, Ph.D.. "Review: Introduction to Modern Climate Change." Physics and Society. 2013. 42. 2. 18-20 April 1, 2013.
- B Cameron Reed, Ph.D.. "A Brief Guide to Manhattan Project Literature." History of Physics Newsletter. 2013. XII. 1. 3-4 March 15, 2013.
- B Cameron Reed, Ph.D.. "Manhattan Project Mystery." History of Physics Newsletter. 2012. XI. 6. 4-5 November 8, 2012.
- B Cameron Reed, Ph.D.. "The Context of Nuclear Inoculation." Federation of American Scientists Perspectives. http://www.fas.org/policy/hiroshima.html August 6, 2012.
- B Cameron Reed, Ph.D.. "Neutrons as Party Animals: An Analogy for Understanding Heavy-Element Fissility." The Physics Teacher. 2012. 50. 9. 544-545.
- See More...
- B Cameron Reed, Ph.D.. Review of Introduction to Modern Climate Change, by Andrew E. Dessler. Physics and Society. 2013. 42. 2 18-20 April 1, 2013.
- B Cameron Reed, Ph.D.. Review of Five Days in August: How World War II Became a Nuclear War, by Michael D. Gordin. Physics & Society. 2008. 37. 1. 14-15
- B Cameron Reed, Ph.D.. Review of Nuclear Weapons: What You Need to Know, by Jeremy Bernstein. Physics & Society. 2008. 37. 2. 20-21
- B Cameron Reed, Ph.D.. Review of Physics of Societal Issues: Calculations on National Security, Environment, and Energy, by David Hafmeister. Physics & Society. 2007. 36. 3. 14-15
- B Cameron Reed, Ph.D.. Review of Bomb Scare: The History & Future of Nuclear Weapons, by Joseph Cirincione. Physics & Society. 2007. 36. 3. 14-15
- "Teaching the Manhattan Project at a Liberal-Arts College." Federation of American Scientists/Stevens Institute of Technology workshop on Nuclear Education Issues. Hoboken, NJ. Nov. 15, 2013.
- B. Cameron Reed.  "A Fundamental-Physics Tour of the Manhattan Project." Central Michigan University Department of Physics. Mt. Pleasant, MI. Jan. 24, 2013.
- "A desktop-computer simulation for exploring the fission barrier." Ohio Section, American Physical Society. Cleveland, OH. April 16, 2011.
- "Bullion to B-Fields: The Silver Program of the Manhattan Project." American Physical Society. Washington, DC. Feb. 14, 2010.
- "Centrifugation and the Manhattan Project." American Physical Society. Denver, CO. May 3, 2009.
- "Arthur Compton's 1941 Analysis of Explosive Fission in U-235: The Physics.." American Physical Society. St. Louis, MO. 12 April 2008.
- See More...
Awards, Honors, Recognitions
- International Astronomical Union
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- Sigma Xi
- American Physical Society
Service to the College
- Faculty Personnel Committee
- Promotion review for Dr. Joe Beckmann, fall 2004
- Faculty Forum: "A Nuclear Tourist," Nov. 5, 2004.
- Academic Standards Committee (Fall 2004)
- MCS Search Committee 2004/05
- Alternate, Faculty Girevance Committee (continuing)