Nancy Carter Dopke, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Joined Alma College Faculty in 2007
Room 160 Kapp Science Center
Office Hours: MTWF 10:30 - 11:20 am
- Ph.D., Inorganic Chemistry, University of Wisconsin-Madison (1998)
- B.S., Chemistry, Millikin University, Decatur, Illinois (1993)
Inorganic Chemistry; Synthesis and Reactivity of Heterometallic Clusters as models for DMFCs (Direct Methanol Fuel Cells); Soft Ionization Mass Spectrometry in Chemical Education; Detection of Polymeric Flavonoids in Crude Food Samples
Recent Courses Taught
- Inorganic Chemistry. Chm 230.
- Bioinorganic Chemistry. Chm 314.
- Chemical Analysis. CHM 115.
- Nancy Carter Dopke with Holly E. Oemke ('12). "The microwave synthesis of platinum(II) phosphine complexes." Inorganica Chimica Acta. 2011, 376, 638-640
- Nancy Carter Dopke with T. Neal Lovett. "Illustrating the Concepts of Isotopes and Mass Spectrometry for Students in Introductory Courses: A MALDI-TOF Mass Spectrometry Laboratory Experiment." Journal of Chemical Education. 2007, 84, 1968-1970
- David M. DeLine, a senior Biochemistry major, (with Nancy Carter Dopke) presented a poster.  "Comparison of Pt-rich and Ru-rich heterometallic complexes containing the ligands dppe and Cp*." in the Inorganic Chemistry Poster Session at the 241st National Meeting of the American Chemical Society. Anaheim, CA. March 2011.
- Holly Oemke, a sophomore Business/Chemistry major, (with Nancy Carter Dopke) presented a poster.  "Microwave-assisted syntheses of bis(phosphine)platinum(II) complexes." in the Undergraduate Research Poster Session at the 239th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society. San Francisco, CA. March 2010.
- Mara J. Laurain, a junior Biochemistry major, presented a poster.  "Investigating the reactivity of a series of ruthenium and platinum complexes by comparison of their ability to oxidize neopentyl alcohol." in the General Inorganic Chemistry poster session at the 237th American Chemical Society National Meeting. Salt Lake City, UT. March 2009.
- Nancy Carter Dopke.  "When did my Marriage become a Two-Body Problem?." Treichel Symposium on Chemical Education and Careers, University of Wisconsin-Madison. Madison, Wisconsin. October 2007.
- Nicole Chumbler (Mercer University undergraduate researcher) presented a poster of research completed with mentor, Nancy Carter Dopke.  "Detection of Oligomeric Polyphenols in Crude Berry Samples Using MALDI-TOF Mass Spectrometry." American Chemical Society 59th Southeast Regional Meeting, Undergraduate Poster Session. Greenville, South Carolina. October 2007.
Selected External Research Grants
- Nancy Carter Dopke.  "Synthesis, Characterization, and Reactivity of Platinum/Ruthenium Heterometallic Complexes." American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund. Effective: September 1, 2008.
Service to the College
- Faculty Athletics Representative
Service to the Profession
- WYSE Academic Challenge Chemistry Test Reviewer (2006 - present)
- Reviewer for American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund grant