Kevyn J. Juneau, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology
Joined Alma College Faculty in 2013
I am a plant community ecologist who is studying the ecology of invasive species. Much of what we know about life has been learned by studying the extremes. For example, the human nervous system was greatly understood by studying enormous squid axons. Invasive species represent an extreme in the plant world, and I use them to understand better the interactions between plants within a community and their interactions with the environment. I specifically look at how invasive species compete for and utilize resources when they are introduced to an environment in which they did not evolve. Understanding these interactions will shed light on how native plants assemble and succession progresses. This knowledge will also help conservationists and land managers undertake an integrated method of management to control unwanted species.
- Ph.D. Forest Science, Michigan Technological University
- M.S. Entomology and Nematology, University of Florida
- B.S. Biology (Minors: English and Psychology), State University of NY at Plattsburgh
Invasive Plant Ecology, Resource Competition, Forest Vegetation Dynamics, Ecophysiology, Forest Ecology and Management, Plant-Insect Interactions.
Recent Courses Taught
- Organismal Biology. Bio 120.
Selected Book Publications
- Kevyn Juneau, Jennifer Gillett-Kaufman, Norman Leppla, Kirk Martin, and Wayne Walker. Integrated Pest Management Policy and Treatment Options for University Housing. EDIS IPM-151 (IN880). Institute of Food & Agricultural Science, University of Florida. Gainesville, FL. 2 ed.
- Kevyn Juneau and Catherine Tarasoff. "Comparison of the Wet-Blade versus broadcast and mowing treatments for the management of Canada thistle (Cirsium arvense) along roadside right-of-ways." Weed Technology. In Review
- Kevyn Juneau and Catherine Tarasoff. "The Seasonality of Survival and Subsequent Growth of Common Reed, Phragmites australis, Rhizome Fragments." Invasive Plant Science and Management. 2013. 6. 79-86
- Kevyn Juneau and Catherine Tarasoff.. "Leaf area and water content changes after permanent and temporary storage." PLoS ONE. 2012. 7. e42604
- Kevyn Juneau, Norm Leppla, and Wayne Walker. "Advancement of integrated pest management in university housing." Journal of Integrated Pest Management. 2011. 2. 1-6