Professor of Sociology
Joined Alma College Faculty in 1998
Swanson Academic Center 254
- Ph.D., Florida State University
- M.Div., Yale University
- B.A., Muhlenberg College
Aging, work, gender, women's health, family, complex organizations, sociological methods
Directed Student Presentations and Achievements
- Honors Day Presentation, April 2010, "Indian Gender Studies," by Amita Gollapudi
- P-GLOBAL Fellows • Amita Gollapudi (Tanzania), 2009 • William J. Scarborough (Ghana), 2007 • Lisette Hoeltzel (India), 2004
- Fullbright Scholars * William J. Scarborough (Ghana), finalist, 2009 * Lisette Hoeltzel (Canada), awarded, 2006
- Service Learning, Outstanding Commitment to Service Award • William J. Scarborough, 2009 • Shannon Dier, 2008
- Honors Day Presentation, April 2009, "“The Unique Experience of Single Parents by Choice," Lindsey Voss
- Honors Day Presentation, April 2009, "Agents of the Brain Drain: Perspectives from the Field of Academia," William J. Scarborough
- Catherine Fobes and Tara Hefferan. "Educating Students for a Global Future: Using Praxis Projects to Teach About Women in the Global South." Michigan Sociological Review. Volume 23:81-104. Fall 2009.
- Catherine Fobes and Peter Kaufman. "Critical Pedagogy in the Sociology Classroom: Challenges and Concerns." Teaching Sociology. 36(1): 26-33, January 2008.
- Catherine Fobes. "Vocation and Racial Discrimination in Campus Ministry." Journal of College and Character. Volume IX, Number 2:1-10, November 2007.
- Catherine Fobes and Colleen Wilson. Review of Gendered Worlds, by Judy Root Aulette, Judith Wittner, and Kristin Blakely. Teaching Sociology. Volume 38, Number 1:60-61, January 2010
- Catherine Fobes and Laura von Wallmenich. Review of Our Social World; Introduction to Sociology, by Jeanne Ballantine and Keith Roberts. Teaching Sociology. Volume 36, Number 2:161-62, April 2008.
- " Association for Sociologists of Religion, 'Teaching Sociology of Religion,' Panel Member, Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, August 14, 2010."
Selected External Research Grants
- Catherine Fobes, Kate Blanchard, and Carol Gregg (Alma College), Jennifer Ayres and Deborah Kapp (McCormick Theological Seminary).  "Globalization and Food: Society, Theology and Ethics." Association of Presbyterian Colleges and Universities. Effective: 2009.
Awards, Honors, Recognitions
- Barlow Award in Faculty Excellence, 2011
- Outstanding Faculty in Social Sciences Award, Alma College, 2009, 2006, 2003, 2001
- Omicron Delta Kappa Faculty Excellence Award, Alma College, 2007, 2004, 2002, 2001
- Discovering Vocation Course Development Grant ($3,000), "Women, Work, and Calling," 2006
- Joseph H. Fichter Award, Association for Sociologists in Religion, 2005
- Discovering Vocation Faculty Research Grant ($20,000), "Discovering Vocation in Campus Ministry," The Lilly Project at Alma College, 2004-05
- See More...
- American Sociological Association, member, 1992-present
Service to the College
- Faculty Health Care Administration Search Committee resulting in the successful hire of Dr. Dale Sanders, 2009-10
- Sixteen faculty letters of evaluation, 1999-present
- Chair, Department of Sociology and Anthropology 2006-09 (as Associate Professor) and January-July 2000 (as Assistant Professor)
- Faculty Elections, Fall Term Sabbatical Replacement, 2008
- Member, Faculty Steering Committee, 2007-08
- Religious Studies Search Committee resulting in the successful hire of Dr. Kathryn Blanchard, 2005-06
- See More...
Service to the Community
- Meijer Bike Trail Association, Member, Alma, Michigan, 2008-present
- Democratic National Party, Volunteer, Alma, Michigan, Fall 2008
- Board of Directors, Women’s Aid Service, Inc., Alma, Michigan, May 2000-May 2002
Service to the Profession
- American Sociological Association, Section on Teaching and Learning, Mentoring Committee Chair, 2009-10
- American Sociological Association, Section on Teaching and Learning, ASA Pre-Conference “Becoming the Best Teacher We Can Be,” Facilitator for Small Group Discussions on “The Value of Mentoring for New Faculty,” Atlanta, GA, August 13, 2010
- Board of Editors, Teaching Sociology, 2006-08
- Distinguished Contributions to Teaching Award Selection Committee, American Sociological Association, 2005-07