Britt A. Cartrite
Chair and Associate Professor of Political Science
Joined Alma College Faculty in 2005
Swanson Academic Center 353
Download My Full Vita
- Ph.D., University of Colorado (2003)
- M.A., University of Colorado (2000)
- M.A., University of Denver (1999)
- B.A., University of Denver (1997)
Ethnic politics, European politics, complexity and computational modeling
Recent Courses Taught
- Introduction to Political Science. POL 100.
- The Legacy of the Scots. FYS 101.25.
- Journal Club. POL 202/302.
- Senior Seminar: The Arab Spring. POL 401.
- Britt A. Cartrite. "The impact of the Scottish independence referendum on ethnoregionalist movements in the British Isles." Commonwealth & Comparative Politics. 2012. 50. 4. 512-534. November 25, 2012.
- Britt A. Cartrite (with Dan Miodownik). "Does Political Decentralization Exacerbate or Ameliorate Ethno-political Mobilization? A Test of Contesting Propositions." Political Research Quarterly. 2010. 63. 3. October 1, 2010.
- Britt A. Cartrite (with Ravi Bhavnani and Dan Miodownik). "Between Replication and Docking: "Adaptive Agents, Political Institutions, and Civic Traditions" Revisited." Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation. 2010. 13. 3. June 30, 2010.
- Britt A. Cartrite. "Ethnopolitical Mobilization in the North Sea Region." Nationalism & Ethnic Politics. 2010. 16. 2. 240-261. June 30, 2010.
- Britt A. Cartrite (with Dan Miodownik). "Demarking Political Space: Territoriality and the Ethnoregional Party Family." Nationalism & Ethnic Politics. 12(1), Spring 2006.
- Britt A. Cartrite. "Ethnopolitical Mobilization in Belgium: Whither (wither) Belgium?." Nationalism & Ethnic Politics. 2002. 8(3): 43-71. September 15, 2002.
- Britt A. Cartrite. Review of Where Nation-States Come From: Institutional Change in the Age of Nationalism, by Philip G. Roeder. Nationalism and Ethnic Politics. 2008. 13. 4. December 15, 2008.
- Britt A. Cartrite. Review of The Federalization of Spain, by Luis Moreno. Nationalism & Ethnic Politics. 2002. 8(3): 110-111 September 15, 2002.
Selected Chapter Book Publications
- "Who is doing what, where, and how in the study of ethnicity and politics." In The Study of Ethnicity and Politics: Recent Analytical Developments, edited by Adrian Guelke, Jean Tournon, 143-156. Berlin: Barbara Budrich, 2012.
- "'New' Nations in 'Old' Europe: Ethnogenesis and Ethnopolitical Mobilisation in the Shetland and Orkney Islands of Scotland." In Minority Politics Within the Europe of Regions, edited by Istvan Horvath and Marton Tonk, 21-36. Cluj-Napoca, Romania: Scientia, 2011.
- "Contested Narratives in France: Jacobinism, Cultural Pluralism, and Ethnoregional Identities." In Cultural Contestation and the Symbolic Landscape, edited by Marc Ross, 128-150. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2009.
- "Ethnopolitical Mobilization and 'Deep Democracy'." In Democracy and Ethnic Conflict: Advancing Peace in Deeply Divided Societies, edited by Adrian Guelke, 218-38. New York and London: Palgrave, 2004.
- Dan Miodownik, Karalyn Nic, Victoria Bishop.  "Comparing Regional Measures of Voting Distinctiveness." Midwestern Political Science Association. Chicago. April 11, 2013.
- Britt Cartrite.  "The Scottish Referendum: An End to English Hegemony?." International Political Science Association World Congress. Madrid, Spain. July 13, 2012.
- Britt Cartrite (with Dan Miodownik).  "Islands of Contention: Superperipheries or Unique Space?." International Political Science Association's Ethnicity and Politics Research Group. Tel Aviv, Israel. 15 September, 2011.
- Britt Cartrite.  "Complexity theory and agent-based modeling in political science." European Institute University. Florence, Italy. November 22-28, 2011.
- Britt Cartrite.  "The Impact of a Scottish Referendum on Ethnoregionalist Movements in the British Isles." Island Independence Movements in the 21st Century. Edinburgh, UK. 9 September 2011.
- Britt Cartrite.  "'New' Nations in 'Old' Europe: Ethnogenesis and Ethnopolitical Mobilization in the Shetland and Orkney Islands of Scotland." European Center for Political Research Conference: Minority Politics Within the Europe of Regions. Cluj-Napoca, Romania. 17-20 June 2010.
- See More...
Selected External Research Grants
- Britt Cartrite.  Barry Silverman, University of Pennsylvania.  "MURI, "Socio-Cognitive Agent-Based Modeling of Sub-National Conflicts." Office of Naval Research.
- Britt Cartrite.  Ian Lustick, Dan Miodownik.  "Understanding the Dynamics of Authoritarian Regimes: Using Virtualstan to Compare the Implications of Bureaucratic Authoritarianism, Bureaucratic Feudalism, and Neopatrimonialism in the Muslim Middle East and Related Regions." Department of Education.
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Midwestern Political Science Association
- International Political Science Association
- Sigma Xi
- American Political Science Association
Service to the College
- Institutional Review Board
- History Search Committee
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Chair, Political Science Department
- Faculty Personnel Committee
- Member, Institutional Review Board
- See More...
Service to the Community
- Panelist, "Debate About Hurricane Katrina", November 15 2005