Carol F Bender, Ph.D.
Professor of English
Joined Alma College Faculty in 1986
Swanson Academic Center 336
Office Hours: M-W: 11:00 - 2:00; TTh 8:00-8:30 and 2:30-3:30
Download My Full Vita
My teaching and scholarship strives to emphasize the importance of writing and to expand the possibilities for studies in English at Alma College. Since 1986 I have developed and taught various courses with those goals in mind. Co-founder of the Women's Studies Program I offer a Women's Literature course and teach Women's Studies 101 and 102. After serving as visiting professor at Stillman College (Alma's sister school in Tuscaloosa, Alabama) I developed a course in African American literature. For many years I taught an Environmental Writing Course linked with the Environmental Studies Program. Taking students off campus to study literature at such places as London, Taos, New Mexico, Martha's Vineyard and Key West, Florida offers immersion in the culture and literary history of areas far from Alma.
- M.A., Central Michigan University (1984)
- Ph.D., Michigan State University (1989)
Learning Communities and Interdisciplinary connections between English and Science. Active participation in institutes sponsored by AACU (Association of American Colleges and Universities) and SENCER (Science Education for New Civic Engagements and Responsibilities).
Directed Student Presentations and Achievements
- Honors Day Student Presentations (two)
- Co-presented with students "Historical Gratiot County: A Collection of Stories."
- Carol F Bender, Ph.D.. "Sandra Cisneros’s `Woman Hollering Creek." Masterplots II: Short Story Series, Revised Edition. Salem Press: Pasadena, California, 2004
- Carol F Bender, Ph.D.. "Gertrude Stein’s Three Lives." Cyclopedia of Literary Places. Salem Press, Pasadena, California, 2003.
- Bender, Carol.  "Taking it Literally: Tennessee Williams' One Acts in Key West." Conference of the American Alliance for Theatre Education. Vancouver, BC.. July 2007.
- Bender, Carol.  "Historical Gratiot County: A Collection of Stories." 11th Annual Institute for Service Learning and Civic Engagement." Schoolcraft College. Schoolcraft College, Oakland, Michigan. Feb. 8-9, 2007.
- Carol Bender.  "Key West Culture: A Midwesterner Reads the Region." 37th Annual College Engish Association Conference. San Antonio, Texas. April 6-8, 2006.
Awards, Honors, Recognitions
- Omicron Delta Kappa, Award for Faculty Excellence
- Pi Kappa Phi National Honorary
- Conference on College Composition and Communication
- National Council of Teachers of English
- Modern Language Association
- Michigan Council of Teachers of English
Service to the College
- Co-Chair English Department
- English Department Search Committee