Robert Vivian, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English
Joined Alma College Faculty in 2001
Swanson Academic Center 334
Office Hours: 8:30-10:30 mwf and 5:30 w
Download My Full Vita
"One who loves cannot calculate." Kierkegaard
- B.A., Univ. of Nebraska-Omaha (1990)
- M.A., Univ. of Nebraska-Omaha (1994)
- Ph.D., Univ. of Nebraska-Lincoln (2001)
Modern and Contemporary Novel, Modern Drama, Nonfiction, American Short Fiction , Modern American Poetry, Theology
Selected Book Publications
- Robert Vivian, Ph.D.. Water And Abandon. University of Nebraska Press. 1st ed. Sept. 1st,.
- Robert Vivian, Ph.D.. The Mover Of Bones. University of Nebraska Press. paperback release, 2nd edition ed.
- Robert Vivian, Ph.D.. The Least Cricket Of Evening. University of Nebraska Press. 1st ed. 2011.
- Robert Vivian, Ph.D.. Another Burning Kingdom. University of Nebraska Press. first ed. 2011.
- Robert Vivian, Ph.D.. Lamb Bright Saviors. University of Nebraska Press. first edition ed. 2010.
- Robert Vivian. The Mover Of Bones (novel). University of Nebraska Press. hard cover ed. 9-06.
- Robert Vivian. Cold Snap As Yearning (creative nonfiction). University of Nebraska Press. 1st Edition ed. 9-01.
- Robert Vivian, Ph.D.. "Dirt Can't Talk To Dirt." Atlas And Alice. 2013
- Robert Vivian, Ph.D.. "Beautiful Bird." Ilanot Review.
- Robert Vivian, Ph.D.. "Note To Oneself." Jelly Bucket.
- Robert Vivian, Ph.D.. "Because There Are Ghosts." Chautauqua.
- Robert Vivian, Ph.D.. "All-American Dread." Brevity. 2013
- Robert Vivian, Ph.D.. ""Looking Into Wolf Creek" and "River Stone"." Chagrin River Review.
- See More...
- Robert Vivian, Ph.D.. Review of Beyond Katrina, by Natasha Trethewey. Blackbird: An Online Journal of Literature and the Arts. Fall 2011 fall 2011.
- conference on contemporary Turkish Literature.  "A Westerner Looks Eastward: Living And Writing in Turkey." Oxford, England. March 2, 2013.
- reading at Vermont College of Fine Arts.  ""Always A River"." montpelier, vt.
- "A Writer's Ache For Sympathy: A Few Ways To Get Your Heart Down On The Page." Vermont College Of Fine Arts MFA students. Montpelier, VT. 7-1-2012.
- "Distinguished Visiting Writer at River Pretty Writers Retreat, Tecumseh, Missouri." April 27-29, 2012.
- Associated Writers Programs attendees.  "AWP Conference." Chicago. March 1&2.
- "For The Sake Of A Single Sentence: Gratitude As A Lever Of Transcendence." Vermont College Of Fine Arts. Montpelier, VT.
- See More...
Selected External Research Grants
- "Adaptation of Henrik Ibsen's Ghosts for Studio Arena Theatre in Buffalo, New York." Effective: 2006-2.
Awards, Honors, Recognitions
- The Latecomer To Glorious Places
- Pushcart Prize 2012
- The Least Cricket Of Evening selected as a November Midwest Connections pick by Midwest Booksellers Association
- Nebraska Center For The Book: Lamb Bright Saviors selected as Nebraska Book Award in Fiction for 2011
- named Creative Nonfiction Editor, Hunger Mountain, 2011-2012
- Featured Artist in Ninth Letter
- See More...
- Society of Midland Authors, Dramatists Guild
Service to the College
- Liason for guest speakers Jane Hirshfield, W.S. Merwin, Mimi Schwartz, Sven Birkerts, Ladette Randolph, Kent Paul
- Holocaust Studies and Jewish Cemetery Restoration in Wroclaw, Poland