Jessie C. Store, Ph. D
Assistant Professor of Education
Joined Alma College Faculty in 2012
- Ph.D, Teacher Education and Development (Mathematics), The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- M.Ed, Educational Research and Evaluation, University of Botswana
- B.Ed, University of Malawi
Recent Courses Taught
- Secondary Education Methods and Experience. EDC 303.
- Mathematics for the Elementary Teacher. MTH 202.
- Diverse Learners. EDC 100.
- Children's Literature. EDC 160.
- Mathematical Thinking and Learning. EDC262.
- Elementary Mathematics Methods. EDC 362.
- Special Methods in Secondary Mathematics Teaching. EDC 445M.
- Store, J. C. "Developing mathematical practices: Small group discussions." The Ohio Journal of School Mathematics. accepted for publication
- Store, J. C., Richardson, K. D., & Carter, T. S. "Fostering understanding of variable with patterns." Teaching Children Mathematics. Accepted for publication
- Store, J. C., & Store, D. "Abstract and contextual reasoning: Making sense of functions." Mathematics in Michigan. 2013. 46 (2)
- Store, J. C. "Routines of practice for supporting mathematical connections: Early algebra context." Proceedings of the 40th Annual Meeting of the Research Council on Mathematics Learning. 2013. (pp. 179-188)
- Store, J. C., (Payne, N. T. & Berenson, S. B.). "Enactment of justification tasks in elementary schools: A multi-case study." Proceedings of the 39th annual meeting of the Research Council on Mathematics Learning. 2012. (pp. 191-198)
- Payne, T., Store, J. C., & Berenson, S. B.. "An investigation of third grade students' generalizations of function machine tasks." Proceedings of the 39th annual meeting of the Research Council on Mathematics Learning. 2012. (pp. 206-213)
- See More...
- Store, J. C.  "Markers of engagement in mathematics classrooms: Prospective teachers' views." The North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education. Chicago, Illinois. November, 2013.
- Store, J. C.  " Connecting content and practice standards: Worthwhile mathematical tasks ." Michigan Council of Teachers of Mathematics . Traverse City, Michigan. August, 2013.
- Store, J. C., (Carter, T. S).  "Discourse in Reformed Mathematics Classrooms: Supporting Co-construction of Mathematical Reasoning." American Educational Research Association. San Francisco, CA. April, 2013.
- Store, J. C.  "Preparing teachers of mathematical reasoning: Translating knowledge to practice." Conversations Among Colleagues' Annual Meeting. Central Michigan University. March 2013 .
- Store, J. C.  "Routines of practice for supporting mathematical connections: Early algebra context." Research Council on Mathematics Learning. Tulsa, Oklahoma. Feb 28-March 2, 2013.
- Store, J. C., & Store, D.  "Building on standards for mathematical practice: Looking for and making use of mathematical structure." North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics. Greensboro, NC.
- See More...
Awards, Honors, Recognitions
- Faculty Service Grant to the Community
- Faculty small grant
- Acknowledged for contribution towards Connected tasks: The building blocks of reasoning and proof by Richardson, K., Carter, T, & Berenson, S.
- Academic Excellence Award
- American Educational Research Association
- School Science and Mathematics Association
- Research Council on Mathematics Learning
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education-North American Chapter
Service to the College
- Academic Standards Committee
- Faculty Election Committee
- Scholar Summit
- Teacher Education Committee
- Honors Day Committee
Service to the Community
- EDC 262 College Positive Volunteer project at Pine Avenue Elementary School
- EDC 160 Reading projects at Luce Road Elementary school and Alma College HeadStart
Service to the Profession
- Michigan Council for Teachers of Mathematics Conference Planning Team
- Manuscript reviewer for Research Council on Mathematics Learning annual meetings
- Manuscript Reviewer for Investigations in Mathematics Learning Journal
- Manuscript Reviewer for School Science and Mathematics Journal
- Manuscript reviewer for Psychology of Mathematics Education conference.