Derick L Hulme, Ph.D.
Professor of Political Science & Nationally Competitive Scholarship AdvisorChair
Joined Alma College Faculty in 1992
Office Hours: MW: 4:00-5:15, F: 2:00-4:30
Download My Full Vita
- Ph.D., Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, 1988
- B.A. St. Lawrence University, 1983
Terrorism, US foreign policy, Arab-Israeli-Palestinian conflict, politics and the Olympics
Recent Courses Taught
- Presidential Library Research. POL 127/327.
- US Policy toward the Arab-Israeli-Palestinian Conflict. POL 401.
- Advanced Model United Nations. POL 328/329.
- Model United Nations. POL 226/227.
- World Problems and Conflicts. POL 121.
Directed Student Presentations and Achievements
- P-GLOBAL Fellows
- Nationally Competitive Scholarships
- Model United Nations accomplishments
Selected Book Publications
- Derick L Hulme, Ph.D.. The Israeli-Palestinian Road Map for Peace: A Critical Analysis. University Press of America (Rowman Littlefield Publishing Group). 2009.
- Derick L Hulme, Ph.D.. Palestinian Terrorism and US Foreign Policy, 1969-1977: Dynamics of Response. Edwin Mellen. 2004.
- Derick L Hulme, Ph.D.. The Political Olympics: Moscow, Afghanistan, and the 1980 US Olympic Boycott. Praeger. 1990.
- Derick L Hulme, Ph.D.. ""The Morality of the Persian Gulf War: Political Realities and Legal Interpretations"." Southeastern Political Review. 1994 03/1994.
- ""The Fulbright Scholarship: Developing institutional strategies for success"." Ferris State University--honors college faculty and students. Ferris State University. January 2012.
- "The Bush Legacy: A Critical Analysis." college students. Northwestern Michigan College. November 2008.
- "1/20/09: The US in a post-Bush World." International Affairs Forum. Traverse City, Michigan. November 2008.
- ""Teaching International Relations in a post-9//11 World"." Michigan Conference of Political Scientists. Grand Rapids, Michigan. October 2007.
- ""The Road Map for Peace: Managing the Pendular Dynamic of Terror." International Conference on Social Science. Honolulu, Hawaii. June 2005.
- "Cultivating Nationally Competitive Scholars." Ferris State University. Big Rapids, Michigan. November 2004.
- Midwest Political Science Association
- American Political Science Association
- National Association of Fellowship Advisors
Service to the College
- Advising Responsibilities
- Independent Studies
- Senior Theses
- Independent Studies
Service to the Community
- Alma/St. Louis Rotary Club