Karin A Grimnes, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology
Joined Alma College Faculty in 1986
Office Hours: Numerous times posted on door and by appt.
Download My Full Vita
Understanding biology rests on a number of supporting skills. I help students to translate the complex world of modern biology, and to relate these ideas to everyday phenomena and to other science fields. I seek to use critical thinking, roleplay simulations, classic strategies and active learning techniques to accomplish my educational goals. I also teach academic success skills to a wide range of students.
My biological research involves the study of insect reproduction, especially the contribution the male accessory glands make toward sperm success after mating. My educational research involves increasing the effectiveness of idea delivery and experimental teaching techniques.
I am also a haiku and tanka poet with poems in national and regional journals.
- 1976 B.A., Zoology, summa cum laude, University of South Florida, Tampa
- 1982 Ph.D., Michigan State University, Department of Zoology
Case studies and roleplay simulations in science education,
Differentiation in reproductive accessory glands in insects
Tenebrio molitor (mealworm beetles), Tribolium spp. (flour beetles),
and Boisea trivittata (boxelder bug).
Recent Courses Taught
- General Biology. BIO 101.
- Immunology. BIO 330.
- First Year Seminar Your Inner Fish. FYS 101.02.
- Developmental Biology. BIO 205.
- Karin A Grimnes, Ph.D.. "A Grave Problem." National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science. 2011 November 1, 2011.
- McCain, E., K. Grimnes and C. Trussell. "When drug sales and science collide (Vioxx)." National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science. Website. 2007.
- Kay Grimnes.  "Podcasting biology text figures: Student opinions." Association of College and University Biology Educators. Hopkinsville, KY. Oct 2008.
- Kay Grimnes with Elizabeth McCain and Cindy Trussell.  "The Case for VIOXX." National Center for Case Studies Worshop and Conference. Buffalo, NY. June 2006.
Awards, Honors, Recognitions
- Posey Award for Faculty Excellence
- Association for Biology Laboratory Educators
- Michigan Entomological Society
- Michigan Science Teachers Association
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of College Advisors
- National Science Teachers Association
- Michigan Academy
- Association of College and University Biology Educators
Service to the College
- Academic Advising Website and Success Manual
- Admissions events, talks,
- Presentations in English classes about haiku
- Pre-Medical (and other health areas) Advisor