Deborah A Dougherty, Ph.D.
Professor of Modern Language - Spanish
Joined Alma College Faculty in 1996
Office Hours: MW 8:30-9:30; 11:30-12:00; Th 8:30-10:00, Fri 11:30-12:00 and also by appointment
Download My Full Vita
- Ph.D., Spanish, Michigan State University (1993)
- M.A., Spanish, Michigan State University (1988)
- B.A., Spanish, Aquinas College (1986)
Literary Translation, Hispanic Women's Literature, Liberal Arts Education
Recent Courses Taught
- Hispanic Readings and Discussion. SPN 230.
- Visions of the Spanish Civil War in Literature and Film. SPN 380/480.
Selected Book Publications
- Josefina Leyva, Translator Deborah A Dougherty, Ph.D.. Operation Pedro Pan: The Exodus of Cuba's Children. University Press of the South. Latin American Studies Series ed. 2011.
- Josefina Leyva, Translator Deborah Dougherty. Ruth, The One Who Fled The Bible.. University Press of the South. September 1, 2006.
- Deborah A Dougherty. Heroes: Death Denied in Selected Dramas of the Golden Age. University Press of the South. 2000.
- Deborah A Dougherty, Ph.D.. "Voices and Echoes: The English Translation of _Rut, la que huyó de la Biblia_." Translation Review. 2005, No. 69, 71-75 December 2005.
Selected Chapter Book Publications
- "Translating History: Remembering the Fiftieth Anniversary of Operation Pedro Pan." In El Mundo Ficcional de Josefina Leyva, MetÃ¡fora de la Libertad, edited by Berta Bilbao Richter, 67-76. Argentina: Alexandria Library, 2011.
- "Marriage as sacrifice: Girardian Ritual in El Conde Partinuples." In Hispanic Studies in Honor of Robert L. Fiore, edited by Chad M. Gasta and Julia Dominguez, 163-173. Newark, Delaware: Juan de la Cuesta, 2009.
- "Presentation of translationâ€”Operation Pedro Pan: The Exodus of Cuba's Children." AsociaciÃ³n Internacional de Literatura y Cultura Femenina HispÃ¡nica. Grand Valley State University, Grand Rapids, MI. November 8-10, 2012.
- "Contemporary Metaphor Theory and Calderon's La vida es sueño." Michigan Academy of Science, Arts and Letters. Saginaw Valley State University. March 11, 2011.
- "Translating History: Josefina Leyva's Operation Pedro Pan." Michigan Academy. Grand Rapids. March, 2010.
- "Of Queens and Scapegoats: The Sacrificial Bride in El Conde Partinuplés." Michigan Academy of Science, Arts and Letters. Kalamazoo, MI. March 7, 2008.
- Jennifer Hamlow, Dianne De Salvo, Susan Mrgan, Alicia Stanley.  "Teach Globally, Act Locally: How Faculty Can Help Campus Internationalization Efforts." NAFSA: Association of International Educators. Kalamazoo, MI. November 8, 2007.
- "Voices and Echoes: The English Translation of Rut, la que huyÃ³ de la Biblia. XXVII Simposio Internacional de Literatura, Montevideo, Uruguay, August 7-11, 2006." Instituto Literario y Cultural Hispánico. Montevideo, Uruguay. August 7-11, 2006.
- See More...
- American Literary Translators Association
- American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese
- Association of Classical Hispanic Theater