Visiting Assistant Professor of Business Administration
Joined Alma College Faculty in 2013
Office Hours: Mon 3-4, Tues 9-11, Wed 8-9, Thurs 1-3, Fri 8-9
Henry Bruce Balfanz
425 Corning, Apt E Marquette, Michigan 49855
• To become a dynamic, energetic member of a college or university faculty as an instructor and as a contributing citizen in the academic community.
Professional and Personal Profile
• Combines real world applications with academic theory to create unique and interesting presentations.
• Researched, wrote and created course material for advertising and political marketing courses taught in Europe.
• Moderated focus groups for major Illinois companies; experienced in a number of research methodologies.
• Extensive use of multi-media in classroom presentation, including the internet, powerpoint presentations, Youtube.com, musical cds, audio book cds, and many other sources.
• Received favorable evaluations from students. Consistently 4.5+ on a 5 point scale.
• Descriptors used by former employees and employers: firm, fair, displays gentle enthusiasm, creative thinker, communicates well, good listener and observer. Slow to anger, disciplines in creative fashion. Energetic and engaging.
• Masters of Business Administration, Bradley University
• Bachelor of Science in Broadcast Management, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
Instructor, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI 2011-Present Taught:
• Introduction to Marketing
• Advertising and Sales Promotion
• Personal Selling
• Political Marketing and Advertising
• Marketing for Entrepreneurship
Adjunct Faculty, Bradley University, Peoria, IL. 2007-2011. Taught:
• Principles of Marketing
• Hispanic Marketing
• International Business
• Operations Management
Visiting Professor, Vysoka Skola Ekonomicka, (University of Economics), Prague, Czech Republic. Taught credit courses during interim periods. 2008-Present
• Evolution of Advertising in the United States
• Political Marketing and Advertising in the United States
Adjunct Faculty, Illinois Central College, Peoria, IL 2007-2008 Taught:
• Communications: Practice and Process
On Going Consulting
• Healthy Skin Naturally, Costa Mesa, California (2011 to present)
• Russells Cycling and Fitness, Washington, IL (2011 to present)
• Eagle Radio Group, Marquette, Michigan (2012 to present)
Media/Advertising Management Experience
• Vice President, Operations, AdCo Advertising, Peoria, IL. Research Director from June 2008 to June 2009. VP from April 2010 to August 2011.
• Acting General Manager/Consultant/Vice President, Champaign-Urbana Radio Group, Champaign, IL Acting General Manager August 2007 to May 2008. Consultant. June 2008 to April 2010.
• Vice President/Publisher, Times Newspapers, Peoria, IL. 2001 to 2007.
• Vice President/General Manager, Radio 1982 to 2001
• 1290WIRL/Lite Rock 107, Peoria IL 1992-2001
• KRVR, Davenport, Iowa 1990-1992, 1982-1984
• KEIN/KLFM, Great Falls Montana, 1985-1989
Other Positions in Broadcast Industry
General Sales Manager
• WIRL/Lite Rock 107, Peoria, IL. 1989-1990
• WOC, Davenport, IA 1984-1985
• Lite Rock 107, Peoria, IL. 1980-1982
Commercial Production and Writing
• WIRL/Lite Rock 107, Peoria, IL 1974-1975, 1979
• WEEK TV, Peoria, IL 1976-1977
• WSIU TV, Carbondale, IL 1976
• WEIC, Charleston, IL 1973-1974
• WSIU, Carbondale, IL 1975-1976
• WDXR, Paducah, KY 1975
• WIRL, Peoria, IL 1974-1975
• WEIC, Charleston, IL 1973-1974
• Runner. Nine marathons, fifteen half marathons
• Peoria Players. Actor; Felix in Odd Couple
• Abe Lincoln. Historian, of sorts.
2012-2013 Faculty Advisor of the Year, NMU
Faculty Sponsor, American Marketing Association, NMU
Faculty Sponsor, Circle K, NMU
Board of Directors, Academic Service Learning, NMU
Outcomes Assessment Committee, College of Business, NMU
Board of Directors, Marquette Kiwanis
Board of Directors, Upper Peninsula Childrens Bereavement Network
Board of Directors, Great Lakes Recovery Center
Baritone, Marquette Choral Society
Tutor, Bothwell Middle School, Marquette MI
Tutor, Harrison School, Peoria IL
Mentor, Champaign School District
Treasurer, Suburban Kiwanis of Peoria
Member, Easter Seals Marketing Board
Blood Donor ( 10 gallons plus whole blood!) and Volunteer, Red Cross
Board Member, Arts Partners, Peoria
Calls from Santa Claus, Peoria Park District
Substitute teacher, East Peoria District 86
Reading Tutor, Commonplace
Coached baseball, East Peoria Bronco League
Coached Odyssey of the Mind, East Peoria Grade Schools.
Soccer board President, Treasurer, Member, East Peoria Soccer Club
P-A Announcer, East Peoria High School Soccer and Baseball.
P-A Announcer, ICC Soccer games.
Prisoner, MDA Lock Up
Member, Illinois Valley Striders and Second Wind Running Club
Member, Upper Peninsula Runners Club
Advisor¸ Washington Gifted School, Kiwanis Builders Club
Bell Ringer, Salvation Army
Board Member, East Peoria School District #86 Foundation
2007 Recipient of History Month Award, the National Organization of Women
Former President, Peoria Advertising and Selling Club
Chamber Leadership School Graduate, Peoria Area Chamber of Commerce
Director, MBA Student Association, Bradley University
Michigan Association of Broadcasters. Associate member
American Marketing Association. Member
Balfanz, H., Brunswick, G., & Sklar, M. (July 2012) Healthy Skin Naturally, Journal of Business Case Studies
Skokanova, D. & Balfanz, H. (February 2012) Marketing Importance of Body Image. American Society of Business and Behavioral Sciences, 19 (1), 822-837
Balfanz, H. & Brunswick, G (July 2013) Everybody Loves Joe, Journal of Business Case Studies
- Masters of Business Administration, Bradley University (2007)
- Bachelor of Science in Broadcast Management, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale (1977)
Retail Business Case Studies
Recent Courses Taught
- Intro to Business. BUS 121.
- Marketing. BUS 333.
- Advertising . BUS 401.