¡Bienvenid@s! We in the Hispanic Coalition make it our mission to increase cultural awareness both on campus and throughout the community through cultural activities related to the Spanish language and/or Latin@, Spanish, or Hispanic cultures. We strive not only for on-campus awareness, but also community involvement to reinforce that connection between students and community members.
Follow us on Facebook!
FALL 2014 Leadership:
- Faculty Sponsor: Stephany Slaughter ( email@example.com)
- President: Caity Huffman ( firstname.lastname@example.org)
When and where do we meet?
We meet weekly. FA 2014 time and place TBA
Need a place to study? Or just interested in interacting with others interested in Spanish language or Hispanic cultures? Come to Spanish hour! FA 2014 time and place TBA
Cuéntame un cuento (Spanish Story Time)
Cuéntame un cuento: Spanish Story Time starts SAT, September 6th and runs through Sat Nov 22nd on Saturdays at 11 a.m. at the ALMA PUBLIC LIBRARY.
Hispanic Heritage Month
Celebrated nationally between September 15 and October 15, HisCo helps to coordinate events throughout the month.
2014 theme: “Hispanics: A legacy of history, a present of action and a future of success.”
For background information, see http://www.hispanicheritagemonth.org/
5th Annual Fiesta/Baile and Information Fair
Friday, September 19
3:30-11 pm at Alma College in Tyler-Van Dusen
Free and open to the public
Monetary donations are graciously accepted, or items for one of the following drives:
Toiletry; School Supply; Winter-Wear. Proceeds support these drives, the HisCo Book Scholarship Fund, and other HisCo events
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE *SUBJECT TO CHANGE*:
- 3:30–5 p.m. Information fair in Tyler-Van Dusen
- *If you would like to have a poster session and/or set up a table for the fair, please contact Stephany Slaughter (email@example.com).
- 5-6 Zumba demo and Dance lessons (part 1)
- 5:30-7 (approx) live Mariachi vocalists Roxanne y Los Compadres
- 6–7 p.m. (or while supplies last): “A Taste of…” Sample a variety of Hispanic inspired foods
- 7-7:30 Dance Lessons/Demo (part 2)
- 7:30–11 p.m. “Baile Latino” in Tyler -Van Dusen. Join us for a dance featuring LIVE MUSIC by DESASTRE.
- *Children’s activities available from 4-10 also in Tyler -Van Dusen.
- Silent auction 6-8pm
- 50/50 raffle drawing (must be present to win)
- Special guest from the Mexican Consulate in Detroit
Other Hispanic Heritage Month Events:
September 22-26 IMMIGRATION WEEK (more events TBA)
- Wednesday, September 24 at 7 p.m “Operation Streamline: Immigration Enforcement or Violation of the Constitution?” Location TBA. The so-called “streamline trials” currently conducted in federal courts along the southern U.S. border have raised a host of legal and ethical questions. The evening’s presentation will begin with an introduction to the trials, followed by a short demonstration (by Alma students) of how these trials proceed. Then Mr. Jonathan Romero, Communities Coordinator at MIRC, will speak about these trials in the larger context of immigration. He will also speak about the importance of linking scholarship with advocacy.
Monday, September 29th: Screening of film: César Chávez (Dir. Diego Luna) 7pm inVan Dusen Commons
Wed Oct 8th: Diversity Dialogue (Lunchtime: Rainbows and Religion: The Intersections of Identity, Expression, and Religion)
Sat Oct 11th: Join the HisCo team to walk or run in the Matt Reinke 5k Scot Trot and come find us for our special Story Time events!
Mon Oct 13th: (Columbus Day/Día de la raza): Tentative: Brown Bag lunch discussion: “Columbusing and cultural appropriation”
Fri. Oct 17th: Release of the Film The Book of Life (about Día de muertos)—check listings for local screenings