Winter Break Means Travel for Many Alma Students
Alma College students will vacate the campus for winter break during
the week of Feb. 25. Many will be serving others, performing
artistically and competing athletically in locations throughout the
Students Serve Others During Alternative Breaks
Eighty-nine students and eight faculty/staff leaders will participate in nine Alternative Break service trips during winter break. They will:
• assist local Habitat for Humanity chapters in new home construction in Georgetown, S.C., and Brunswick, Ga.
• construct wheelchair ramps at the homes of physically disabled individuals in Nashville, Tenn.;
• participate in environmental restoration efforts at the Disney Wilderness Preserve in Kissimmee, Fla.;
• work with the Presbytery of Mississippi in repairing homes damaged by Hurricane Katrina;
• interact with developmentally challenged teens and adults at Duvall Presbyterian Home in Glenwood, Fla.;
• assist the in-patient units with visitation, clerical and gardening tasks at Heartland Hospice in Atlanta, Ga.
Choir Tours Florida
The Alma College Choir, led by Director Will Nichols, tours Florida with performances at Covenant Presbyterian Church, Fort Myers, Sunday, Feb. 24; Moorings Presbyterian Church, Naples, Monday, Feb. 25; First Presbyterian Church, St. Petersburg, Tuesday, Feb. 26; Church on the Square, the Villages, Wednesday, Feb. 27; and Harriet Himmel Gilman Theatre at Cityplace, West Palm Beach, Thursday, Feb. 28.
Percussion Ensemble Performs at Notre Dame
The Alma College Percussion Ensemble, conducted by David Zerbe, will perform at the 50th annual University of Notre Dame Collegiate Jazz Festival at 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 23.
Scot Athletic Teams Launch Spring Seasons
• The baseball team heads to Myrtle Beach, S.C. to open its 2008 season at the Ripken Classic. The Scots have games scheduled daily from Feb. 24 through 29 against Capital University, Concordia University, Rivier College, College of Staten Island and Manchester College.
• The softball team travels to Fort Myers, Fla., to open its 2008 season at the Gene Cusic Classic with games Feb. 24 through March 2. They will compete against Concordia University, Mercyhurst College, Johnson & Wales College, New York Institute of Technology and DeSales College.
• The women’s tennis team visits Orlando, Fla. on Feb. 23 to compete in the Orlando Tournament.
• The men’s tennis team travels to Sandusky, Ohio for matches against West Liberty State and Heidelberg on Feb. 23 and Tiffin on Feb. 24. They will play Otterbein at Westerville, Ohio, on Feb. 25.
Alumni Receptions Scheduled in Florida
Alumni Director Brent Neubecker hosts alumni receptions in Florida in conjunction with the Choir Tour and softball games. Receptions take place in Naples Feb. 25 and The Villages Feb. 27. On Feb. 26, a reception for alumni and parents of the softball team will take place at Fort Myers.
Posted: Mon, February 18th, 2008 at 9:20AM