In the News: August 2006
NATIONAL, STATEWIDE AND METRO DETROIT MEDIA
“Alma College Looks West.”
Alma College is one of five schools that Goodyear, Ariz., officials are courting to help the desert town grow. Quotes President Tracy: “We are beginning to understand that we can’t keep doing business as usual. Alma fully intends to break that stereotype that it can’t or won’t change, but still remain true to our mission statement.”
- Saginaw News, (page 1, top-of-fold), August 2, 2006
- Inside Higher Ed, national online publication, August 4, 2006
- Arizona Republic, Phoenix, August 23, 2006
A story about the prevalence of cheating by athletes. Quotes Alma College philosophy professor Nicholas Dixon: “It’s just an example of self-deception. Deep down you know something’s wrong, but you try to kid yourself that it’s OK. Humans do that in many parts of their lives.”
- Fort Worth, Texas, Star-Telegram, August 6, 2006
“Steeped in Tradition, Alma College Embraces Need to Change.”
Editorial by Sun Executive Editor Rick Mills about Alma exploring new options in Arizona, Ecuador and Alma.
- Alma Morning Sun, August 6, 2006
“Alma Students Scale Heights to Study Mountain Sickness.”
Professor John Davis conducts classes on some of the highest peaks in North America.
- Collegenews.org, Washington, D.C., August 8, 2006
“The Earliest Early Admissions.”
Many students admitted to college before their high school senior year. Quotes Alma admissions director Evan Montague: About 50 students apply and are accepted before Sept. 1 each year.
- Inside Higher Ed, national online publication, August 8, 2006
Alma College Is Ranked 107 Among Liberal Arts Colleges.
- Washington Monthly magazine, September 2006, released August 8, 2006
Alma College Information Is Included in Michigan Colleges and Universities Directory.
- Grand Rapids Press, August 13, 2006
Leigh Ann Lafave Named Softball Coach at Bethany Lutheran College.
LaFave is a former softball star and 2005 graduate of Alma College.
- Bethany Lutheran College News & Events, August 15, 2006
“Alma College Repatriates Human Remains to Indian Tribe.”
- Collegenews.com, August 16, 2006
“Frank Knox: Prescient and Principled.”
Profile on Frank Knox mentions that Knox tackled multiple jobs to pay his tuition at Alma College.
- Mackinac Center for Public Policy, August 24, 2006
LOCAL AND REGIONAL MICHIGAN MEDIA
Local Students Plan to Attend Alma College.
- Spinal Column, West Bloomfield, August 2, 2006
- Macomb Daily, Mount Clemens, August 20, 2006
- Greenville Daily News, August 21, 2006
- Petoskey News, August 28, 2006
Local Story About Alma College Student.
- Saginaw News, August 23, 2006
Local Students Named to Alma College Honors List.
- Grand Haven Tribune, August 11, 2006
- Grand Rapids Press, August 17, 2006
- Ogemaw County Herald, West Branch, August 17, 2006
- Rochester Eccentric, August 20, 2006
Local Stories About Alma College Alumni. (These listings do not include wedding, engagement or obituary announcements).
- The Sun & News, Middleville, August 1, 2006
- Bay City Times, August 2, 2006
- Birch Run Herald, August 2, 2006
- Hastings Banner, August 3, 2006
- Port Huron Times Herald, August 6, 2006
- Grand Rapids Press, August 10, 2006
- Tuscola Advertiser, Caro, August 12, 2006
- Carson City Gazette, August 14, 2006
- Midland Daily News, August 16, 2006
- Tri County Citizen, Chesaning, August 20, 2006
- Lansing State Journal, August 23, 2006
- The Bay Voice, New Baltimore, August 23, 2006
- North Macomb Voice, Richmond, August 23, 2006
- Saginaw News, August 24, 2006
- Holland Sentinel, August 24, 2006
- Tri County Citizen, Chesaning, August 27, 2006
- Grand Rapids Press, August 27, 2006
“It’s Hot, Hot, Hot.”
Alma College offers “cooling stations” for families seeking heat relief.
- Alma Morning Sun, August 1, 2006
Local Students Participated in Kapp Honor’S Day Program.
- Big Rapids Pioneer, August 1, 2006
Alma College Graduate Quintessa Gallinat Makes Her Professional Directing Debut.
Gallinat directs “The Subject was Roses,” which was performed at The Purple Rose Theatre Co. in Chelsea.
- “Curtain Call”, Pridesource.com, August 3, 2006
Alma Selected to Finish Fourth in Annual MIAA Football Media Poll.
- Alma Morning Sun, August 4, 2006
- Detroit Free Press, August 4, 2006
- Detroit News, August 4, 2006
- Saginaw News, August 4, 2006
- Battle Creek Enquirer, August 4, 2006
- Adrian Daily Telegram, August 4, 2006
- Dowagiac Daily News, August 4, 2006
- Grand Rapids Press, August 4, 2006
- Grand Rapids Press, August 6, 2006
- Royal Oak Daily Tribune, August 9, 2006
Aaron Brock, Former Assistant Athletic Director at Alma College, Named Athletic Director at Three Rivers High School.
- Sturgis Journal, August 5, 2006
“Building on Lansing’s Potential.”
Profile on former Alma College student Matt Fisher, owner of Capital City Real Estate and Atlas Home Mortgage.
- Lansing State Journal, August 7, 2006
“Students Learning Leader Skills.”
Alma College sends 49 leadership fellows to Ghost Ranch in New Mexico.
- Saginaw News, August 8, 2006
“Alma City Park Sits on Contaminated Ground.”
Quotes Alma College professor Ed Lorenz of the Pine River Superfund Citizen Task Force: “None of these substances are at a level that instant contact would be harmful.”
- Alma Morning Sun, August 18, 2006
Recruit Rally for the Gratiot County CROP Walk will take place at Alma College.
- Saginaw News, August 20, 2006
Faculty Author Bob Vivian Writes New Novel: The Mover of Bones.
- Alma Morning Sun, August 20, 2006
Local Students Attend Cheerleader Camp at Alma College.
- Ann Arbor News, August 21, 2006
Local Students Attend Football Camp at Alma College.
- Iosco County News Herald, East Tawas, August 23, 2006
Local Teen Substance Abuse Prevention Team Performs at Alma College Cheerleader Camp.
- Fremont Times Indicator, August 23, 2006
“Ethics an Emphasis at Alma College.”
Quotes John Leipzig, director of the Center for Responsible Leadership: “Leadership can be taught. Will they embrace ethics? They will if it’s made real in their lives. Some of Alma’s students are ‘giving back’ right away.”
- Alma Morning Sun, August 26, 2006
“Alma College Explores New Avenues.”
Quotes Provost Michael Selmon: “If there’s an energy park two miles from campus, we intend to make use of it.” Story reviews the College’s interest in programs in energy, Ecuador and Arizona.
- Alma Morning Sun, August 27, 2006
Grant Money to Spurt Testing, Educating.
Geology faculty member Murray Borrello receives $48,000 3M Vision grant to help local community learn about the health of the Pine River.
- Alma Morning Sun, August 31, 2006
Alma Student Will Speak at Local Lions Club Meeting.
Emily Shroyer is a junior at Alma College and a member of Alma’s Top Award Winning Model UN Simulation Team.
- Decatur Republican, August 31, 2006
STORIES ABOUT ALMA COLLEGE ATHLETICS
Alma College is mentioned multiple times daily and hundreds of times every week in conference standings, national polls, statistics, schedules, predictions, game results and previews. The following list is only a sampling of news items on Alma College sports teams and athletes. Stories about Alma athletics appear in nearly every issue of the Alma Morning Sun and Gratiot County Herald and are not included here.
- Saginaw News, August 6, 2006
- Port Huron Times Herald, August 9, 2006
- Saginaw News, August 12, 2006
- Saginaw News, August 13, 2006
- St. Ignace News, August 16, 2006
- Tuscola Advertiser, Caro, August 19, 2006
- Bay City Times, August 23, 2006
- Tuscola Advertiser, Caro, August 23, 2006
- Saginaw News, August 27, 2006
- Muskegon Chronicle, August 27, 2006
- Chelsea Standard, August 30, 2006
- Detroit Free Press, August 30, 2006
- Detroit News, August 31, 2006
- Marcellus News, August 31, 2006