May 07, 2014
Alma College recognized five individuals with Presidential Awards for Excellence at the annual Awards and Recognition Reception for Administrative and Support Staff on Wednesday, May 7.
Viki Everhart, technical services specialist, John Oleksinski, second shift mechanical shop, and Ron Zemcik, second shift general maintenance, received the awards for support staff. Annalyse Hargraves, assistant director of admissions, and Darrell Waldron, senior programmer and analyst, received the Presidential Awards for administrators.
Faculty, administrators and support staff members nominate non-faculty colleagues for final selection by the president and vice presidents. The award winners each received an engraved plaque and a check for $250.
Everhart was recognized for her library work and overseeing the college’s digital photo archives. “In the course of her day, she communicates with students, staff, faculty, vendors, alumni and community members,” wrote her nominator. “She treats them all with respect and makes certain that everyone receives the needed information.”
Oleksinski and Zemcik were cited as a team for their good nature and attitude toward work. “They tackle almost anything that comes up covering for the mechanical, electrical and carpentry shops through the second shift,” wrote their nominator. “They greet everyone with a smile and get the job done. They set a very good example of what Facilities strives to be.”
Hargraves was nominated for her commitment to recruiting students. “Prospective students and their families instantly connect with her, and she does everything in her power to ensure that they have a wonderful Alma experience,” wrote her nominator. “She has stayed late or come in on the weekend to work on projects, meet with or speak to students, and plan successful events.”
Waldron was recognized for providing consistent IT support and alternative solutions to the business office for the Ellucian Colleague and Crystal Report software. “He has created several web applications and reports that have assisted the business office in running more efficiently and effectively,” wrote his nominator.
Commitment to Service Award
Service Learning and Alpha Phi Omega, the service fraternity, selected Willard Korson, hall director, as the recipient of the Outstanding Commitment to Service Award.
Korson was recognized for his work as an alternative break learning partner. He has traveled with students to Louisiana, Florida, Texas, Tennessee, South Dakota and Alabama — places where he has performed disaster relief, served the rural poor, advocated for civil and immigration rights and issues, worked in a wildlife preserve and served on the Pine Ridge reservation.
Length of Service Awards
• Susan Beckett, cataloging and serials specialist
• Mark Bunce, science lab coordinator
• Susan Clark, coordinator of media services
• Steve Edwards, custodian
• Angie Sherwood, accounts receivable clerk
• Julie Elenbaas, CSO and Michigan Academy office associate
• Dave Dickman, grounds
• Jay Chapin, technical support specialist
• Linda Collins, mail/printing specialist
• Susan Cross, interlibrary loan specialist
• Melissa Hovey, circulation desk specialist
• Mary Ellen Yost, CSO office associate
• Roger Rice, electrician
• Larry Elliott, assistant director, EIS
• Ana Grajek, licensed professional counselor
• Beth Pellerito, director of marketing
• Dave Buhl, vice president of business affairs
• Drew Curry, assistant athletic trainer/IPH lab coordinator
• Scott Dennison, associate director, facilities and service management
• Anneliese Fox, senior assistant director of admissions
• Anne Lambrecht, director of counseling, health and wellness
• Nate Payovich, assistant director, CSO, academic support and disability services
• Cindy Wendzel, Heritage Center office associate
• Joe Rodriguez, carpenter
• Sharon Buchanan, office associate annual giving
• Linda Hollabaugh, administrative assistant, Student Life
• Shirley Rice, custodian