- Giving your students an assignment for which they need to use library resources?
- Frustrated with the quality of sources they use for their papers?
- Want to select materials to add to the library collection that will better support your curriculum?
- Need resources that we do not own?
- Have items to place on course reserve?
The library staff members are available to help!
The purpose of course reserves is to facilitate student access to readings and other materials for classes at Alma College. The library will place required or strongly recommended items on reserve for student use at the request of faculty members, thus making the readings available to the students during library hours. More information is available on our Course Reserves page.
Efficient and effective Interlibrary Loan service is available at no cost to all Alma College Community members. More information is available on our Interlibrary Loan page and from Susan Cross, our Interlibrary Loan specialist.
The library instruction program is designed to prepare students to perform research and evaluate information in order to prepare them for their classes here at Alma and to aid them in their lifelong research needs.
Topics covered by library instruction courses include:
- Evaluating web, database and print resources
- Choosing and narrowing research topics
- Effective choice and use of electronic and print indexes
- Effective web searching
- Use of library catalogs
- Location of books and other print materials
- Use of Interlibrary loan
- Use of microfilm resources
How to Schedule an Instruction Session:
Contact Steven Vest, Head of Reference/Instruction.
Selecting Materials for the Library Collection:
There are multiple ways in which faculty members can request new books and media for the library.
1) Choice Cards are distributed to each corresponding department. If you are interested in a title, please legibly sign it and return to Viki Everhart at the Library. All other Choice Cards should be disposed of.
2) Use publishers web-sites, amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. to locate a title and copy and paste or send link to email@example.com.
3) If you receive publishers catalogs, clearly mark pages and titles, sign and send to Viki. If a discount code is offered please supply that information also.
4) Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the author, title, isbn, edition, and publisher information.
If you would like a title held for you please indicate that. That item will be set aside for you for one week at the circulation desk. You will be notified with an e-mail to let you know it is ready to be picked up. You will no longer receive the yellow slips in campus mail.
Monthly you will receive a list of titles you have requested that are ready for check out. These will be placed on the new books shelf or in the circulating collection as appropriate and not held unless specified by you. If you need help locating a title, please ask at the circulation desk.
All requests for new journal titles should be sent to Carol Zeile.