The Honors Program at Alma College celebrates our identity as a liberal arts college. Above all, the program aims to create an intellectual community centered on both independent excellence and collaboration. Honors Scholars participate in special seminar opportunities and enroll in courses designed for Honors Scholars. Students pursue departmental honors and membership in Phi Beta Kappa, the nation's preeminent honor society. They create independent projects and develop an honors portfolio.
- Participate in a First-Year Honors Seminar (HNR 180) that introduces various disciplinary perspectives and liberal arts education (4 credits)
- Participate in special events with other Honors Scholars
- Begin Honors Portfolio and work with faculty advisor to plan coursework and opportunities
- Enrollment in a curriculum that eventually fulfills requirements for membership in Phi Beta Kappa
Sophomore and Junior Years
The middle years of the Honors program highlight the mastery of disciplinary work but also making connections — inside and outside of classrooms
- Continue participating in special Honors Scholars events and seminars with visiting scholars and artists
- Enroll in a curriculum leading to departmental honors
- Continue building an Honors Portfolio and a Phi Beta Kappa record
- Enroll in an independent study project with a faculty mentor* (4 credits)
- Take at least one course that crosses disciplinary boundaries or links different subjects* (4 credits)
*A qualifying overseas semester may be substituted for one of these courses.
- Participate in a Senior Capstone Course (2 credits) that provides cross-disciplinary links and mentoring for new Honors Scholars
- Continue participating in special Honors Scholar events and seminars
- Complete departmental honors, including presentation of work at Honors Day or other qualifying venues
- Finish Honors Portfolio
Successful Honor Scholars will
- receive a transcript designation of Alma College Liberal Arts and Sciences Honors Scholar with Departmental Honors.
- receive Phi Beta Kappa national honors status.