We accept applications on a rolling basis but applicants are encouraged to apply early. Students can start either the Fall (September) or Winter (January) term.
- A completed Alma College Application - there is no application fee
- Or, you may apply via the Common Application
Application must include the following:
- A thoughtful statement of purpose, 250-500 typed words maximum. The essay should be cohesive, free of grammatical errors, and provide insights into your goals and objectives for obtaining a U.S. education at Alma College.
Freshmen students, use this recommendation form, or, a recommendation letter from a professional. One quality recommendation from a school counselor, HS teacher, professor, or academic advisor (no agency representative allowed).
- Official secondary (high school) transcripts, in English, provided to Alma College directory from your school in a sealed envelope or uploaded onto the International Student Application for students with 24 credit hours or less earned from prior college/university coursework in the U.S. or overseas.
- Transfer students: Defined as having 25 credit hours minimum from a previous college/university.
- Official transcripts, in English, from each college/university attended overseas or in the U.S. Transcripts must be issued directly from institution(s) attended to Alma College.
- High school transcripts, copy of high school diploma are not required.
Overseas Course Credentials
- Most overseas course credentials can be evaluated by Alma College. However, in some unique cases, an independent course credential on overseas college/university or high school/secondary foreign transcripts may be needed. Applicants will be notified by the College should an overseas course credential be required.
- Students may use one of the approved overseas course credential services listed on this page (downloadable page on the right).
- English Language Proficiency Official Score: For consideration of admission, Alma College accepts a TOEFL iBT score of 79 (195 CBT) minimum, IELTS 6.5 minimum, or ELS Language Center 112. Sub-scores of TOEFL, IELTS will be evaluated closely.
- TOEFL School Code: 1010
- The TOEFL, IELTS, ELS scores are waived if the student has a C minimum in English Composition from an accredited U.S. community college or U.S. college/university. Students must provide the course syllabus for proper review and qualification for the TOEFL/IELTS/ELS waiver.
- Alma College will accept either the SAT or ACT instead of English Language Proficiency Scores. For consideration of admission, a minimum SAT (Math & Critical Reading) of 1030 orACT composite score of 22 is strongly recommended.
- SAT School Code: 1010
- ACT School Code: 1958
International Student Financial Statement. All international students on F1 or J1 visa are required to provide evidence of sufficient finances to support their U.S. education. Sources of funding may be from parents, guardians, external, or U.S. sponsor. Please read the directions carefully.
- Valid Passport copy (photo & signature pages only). For Transfer Students in the U.S. a copy of your current, F1 Visa (photo & signature pages only).
- I-20 Transfer Form - Please download, complete, and have your current U.S. institution’s international department complete the bottom half of the form.
Applicants who do not meet Alma College’s full admission may be eligible for conditional admission by demonstrating other strong or unique qualifications. Candidates for admission in this category are reviewed by a committee.