Deadline: February 15
High school seniors and incoming transfer students who have been active participants and leaders in their church are invited to apply for the Alma College Religious Leadership Award, a scholarship based on your history of religious involvement and leadership in any faith tradition. The award, valued at $1,000 annually, may be renewed for up to four years.
The Religious Leadership Award recognizes those students who have demonstrated exceptional commitment to their faith community and who have the potential to enhance spiritual life on campus by participating in interfaith engagement at Alma College.
For consideration, please submit both the student essays and the faith leader reference by February 15 using the forms provided.
A minimum of five Religious Leadership Awards are granted each year; all students, regardless of award status, will find many ways to be involved and help lead religious life activities on campus.
Expectations for Religious Leadership Award Recipients include:
- Be an active, practicing member of an established faith tradition, such as Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism or Buddhism.
- Seek to live according to the tenets of his/her chosen faith tradition.
- Intend to continue to actively practice his/her faith tradition while at college.
- Be knowledgeable about his/her faith tradition and able to articulate aspects of it to others.
- Be open to and interested in dialogue and difference within his/her own tradition as well as other traditions.
- Participate in the Interfaith Council at Alma College.
- Develop at least one programming initiative per year that will encourage interfaith engagement and/or raise awareness of his/her faith tradition on campus.
- Demonstrate satisfactory academic progress.
Satisfactory fulfillment of the above expectations will constitute qualification for renewal of the Religious Leadership Award.
Application Process for Religious Leadership Award:
Apply to Alma College
- Complete the Religious Leadership Award application.
- Ask a leader in your faith community (ex: pastor, youth group leader, etc.) for a recommendation. The form must be submitted by February 15.