Admissions & Aid

Applying for Aid

To be considered for any need-based aid, whether from the federal government, the state government or Alma College, you must file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).



Tip: Alma’s school code is 002236       

 What is the FAFSA? 

The FAFSA is a form college students and their families complete annually to determine eligibility for need-based aid. Among other factors, the FAFSA uses tax return information to determine your estimated family contribution (EFC), which colleges use to create financial aid packages.

When should I file?

Incoming freshmen should file the FAFSA between January 1 and March 1 of their senior year in high school.

What can I do to get ready?

To prepare for filing your FAFSA, you must apply for your PINs: one for you and one for each parent. You can get your PINs at These PINs serve as your electronic signatures and also allow you to access your FAFSA and federal loan information in the future. Keep them in a safe place!

You can also compile federal tax information for you and your parents; records of untaxed income; and information on savings, investments, and business or farm assets.

How do I file my FAFSA?

Once you’re ready to file, you can visit and complete your FAFSA online. Be sure to specify Alma College as one of the colleges that should receive your results! Alma College’s federal school code is 002236. If you can’t complete the FAFSA in one sitting, you will be able to save your work and return later.

I’ve submitted my FAFSA – what happens next? 

In mid-March, Alma College begins sending financial aid packages. When yours arrives, you will see all your scholarships and awards listed, along with any additional need-based aid for which you qualify. If you have questions, we encourage you to call 1-800-321-2562 for assistance.

In some cases, we may need to go through a verification process, in which you send us a signed copy of your federal 1040 and W-2 forms, before we can create your financial aid package. If that is the case, we will notify you as soon as possible.

If you have any additional questions, please call 1-800-321-2562 and we’ll be happy to assist you!