Music at Alma offers fulfilling creative outlets regardless of your major. Twenty percent of Alma students perform in one of eight music ensembles, for which they receive academic credit toward graduation. We’re serious about making music, but we also have fun doing so!
The Alma Choir spent the first two weeks of May in the highlands of Scotland singing concerts in Ayr, Oban, on the Isle of Skye, St. Andrews, and in the fabulous St. Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh. Next overseas trip for the Alma Choir - May 2016.
- In April, the three Alma Choirs and the Alma Symphony Orchestra joined forces to perform the famous Mozart Requiem.
- In February the Percussion Ensemble performed at the Notre Dame Jazz Festival and the Alma Choir sang the Evensong service at the National Cathedral in Washington DC.
- In October, a select group of Alma Choir students sang backup for Josh Groban at his Grand Rapids (Van Andel Arena) and Detroit (Palace of Auburn Hills) concerts.
- On November 2 and 3, the Kiltie Marching Band indoor concert featured selections from Star Wars, complete with members in costume. Alumni Justin Rito and Jake Finkbeiner provided special arrangements of the 2013 halftime production, “Redemption.”
Alma students have an abundance of choices for Spring Term 2014.
- Members of the Percussion Studio will be creating a recording of new music.
- Students will travel to the Gilmore International Keyboard Festival.
- The Alma Choir will be on tour in Scotland.
Cameron Tahaney, Helen Bess, and Joseph Kennedy recently competed in the Kalamazoo Bach Festival Compeition.