- Chronicle of the First World War - Ref D5 23 .G634 1990
- Chronology of world history - Ref D 11 .M39 1999 (4 volume set)
- Dictionary of American history - Ref E 174 .D52 2003 (10 volume set)
- A dictionary of eighteenth-century world history - Ref D 286 .D53 1994
- A dictionary of twentieth-century history: 1914 - 1990 - Ref D 419 .T44 1992
- Encyclopedia of the American Civil War: a political, social, and military history - Ref E 468 .H47 2000 (5 volume set)
- Encyclopedia of American history - Ref E 174 .E53 2003 (11 volume set)
- Facts on File - Ref D 410 .F3 (multi-volume set)
- A global encyclopedia of historical writing - Ref D 13 .G47 1998 (2 volumes)
- The historical encyclopedia of World War II - Ref D 740 .E5213
- The history highway 3.0: a guide to internet resources - Ref D 16.117 .H57 2002
- The Holocaust encyclopedia - Ref D 804.25.H66 2001
- The Hutchinson dictionary of world history - Ref D 9 .H87 1993
- Larousse encyclopedia of ancient and medieval history - Ref D 59 .H553 1963
- The new illustrated encyclopedia of world history - Ref D 21 .L276 (2 volumes)
- Timetables of history: a horizontal linkage of people and events - Ref D 11 .G78
America: History and Life
Historical coverage of the United States and Canada from prehistory to the present.
Historical coverage of the world from 1450 to the present (excluding the United States and Canada).
ProQuest Historical Newspapers: The New York Times
The New York Times (1851-2003) offers full page and article images with searchable full text back to the first issue. The collection includes digital reproductions providing access to every page from every available issue.
Expanded Academic ASAP (InfoTrac)
Indexes approximately 1,500 journals and magazines and the New York Times. Full text online is provided for approximately 700 of the journals/magazines.
Searchable full text of scholarly journals from a variety of disciplines including history, economics, ecology, math, sociology, and more.
ProQuest Research Library
Search the full collection of journals, magazines and newspapers for information on a broad range of general reference subjects.
Documents for the Study of American History: Well organized and growing collection of important historical documents from the 17th through the 20th century.
American Memory: Library of Congress
"American Memory is a gateway to rich primary source materials relating to the history and culture of the United States. The site offers more than 7 million digital items from more than 100 historical collections."
Best of History Web Sites
Online directory of over 700 history-related web-sites, produced by history teachers.
Cornell University Library Witchcraft Collection
An online selection of titles from the Cornell University Library's extensive collection of materials on Witchcraft. The Witchcraft Collection is a rich source for students and scholars of the history of superstition and witchcraft persecution in Europe.
The Great Chicago Fire and the Web of Memory
An online exhibition produced by the Chicago Historical Society and Northwestern University.
Inaugural Addresses of the Presidents of the United States
The entire corpus of inaugural addresses of U.S. presidents, from George Washington's first inaugural address through George W. Bush.
The New Deal Network
More than 2,500 different media from audio recordings to photos focusing on the era of FDR's "New Deal" period of American history.
On This Day: Today's Highlights in History
This site presents news and events from today's date in history, with links to selected articles, obituaries, and cartoons. It also allows you to search previous days. From The New York Times Learning Network.
Reading, Writing and Researching for History: A Guide for College Students
This site is divided into several categories: "reading, writing, researching, and evaluating." Note that it is geared specifically toward writing for history, but much of it may be applicable to other topics. Also a small section on writing a critical book review and naming conventions for referring to African-Americans.
United States Historical Census Data Browser
"This site allows you to browse the census data files for each decade, from 1790 to 1960, and choose from the lists of variables. You can produce lists of data by state or county that can be sorted, calculate proportions, or graph any of the variables."
Women in American History
Contains biographies and articles on topics pertinent to women's history, compiled by the editors of the Encyclopedia Britannica.