- The African American encyclopedia - Ref E 185 .A253 2001 (10 volumes)
- American Decades primary sources - Ref E 169.1 .A471977 2004
- Black Women in America: an historical encyclopedia - Ref E 185.86 .B542 1993b (2 volumes)
- Encyclopedia of American Activism: 1960 to present - Ref JK 1764 .D53 1998
- Encyclopedia of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender history in America - Ref HQ 76.3 .U5 E53 2004 (3 volumes)
- Gale encyclopedia of multicultural America - Ref E 184 .A1 G14 1995 (2 volumes)
- The Native American rights movement - Ref KF 8203.36 .G76 1996
- Statistical record of Black America - Ref E 185.5 .S7 1990
- Statistical record of children - Ref HQ 792 .U6 S73 1994
- Statistical record of older Americans - Ref HQ 1064 .U5 S697 1994
- Statistical record of women worldwide - Ref HQ 1150 .S73 1991
Searchable full text of scholarly journals from a variety of disciplines including history, economics, ecology, math, sociology, and more.
ProQuest Social Sciences Databases
Simultaneously search multiple databases for journals in the social sciences, some of which are available in full-text.
Social Science Abstracts
Indexes journal articles in anthropology, political science, economics, psychology, geography, sociology, law. 1974 - present. Access through FirstSearch on the Finding Articles section of the Alma College Library home page.
H.W. Wilson Select Full Text contains indexed and abstracted articles from 1300 periodicals, all with ASCII full text online. Access through FirstSearch on the Finding Articles section of the Alma College Library home page.
Expanded Academic ASAP
Indexes approximately 1,500 journals and magazines and the New York Times. Full text online is provided for approximately 700 of the journals/magazines.
African American Odyssey
This Library of Congress exhibit features documents, books, plays, films, recordings and more documenting the history of black Americans' quest for equality. The web site makes select primary sources available and has concise essays covering each period in American history.
American Civil Liberties Union
An interest group web site that offers news and opinions on a variety of civil liberties issues.
CivilRights.org - Civil Rights Coalition for the 21st Century
Up-to-the-minute news and information about civil rights issues in current legislation and policy, bringing together over one hundred organizations that champion civil rights causes.
This site from the Mississippi Humanities Council and other organizations features an index of civil rights oral history interviews, transcripts and a detailed timeline of civil rights history.
From the National Historic Site of Brown v. Board, this website provides excellent summary information about the Brown v. Board case.
Topical bulletins and news on current civil rights issues, including post-911 discriminatory backlash, civil rights issues pertaining to persons with disabilities and religious freedom.