June 19-23, 2016
Every day world leaders work to resolve political and social issues. Are you up for the Challenge?
The Alma College Global Challenge is a United Nations Security Council crisis simulation, addressing topics such as the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, and the devastating effects of climate change. Students will represent the 15 countries on the Security Council, and work together to draft resolutions that outline solutions to the crisis at hand. By the end of the week students will understand the impact they can have in the world, and will have the tools to begin making a difference.
Students will have a chance to:
- Gain a better understanding of the fast-paced and difficult tasks of UN representatives through negotiations, speeches, and drafting resolution sessions during the Security Council simulation
- Develop research, public speaking, and leadership skills
- Work with current student mentors from the Alma College Model UN Team, which has been recognized as the “Outstanding Delegation” 18 years in a row at the National Model UN Conference
- Make connections with faculty members Dr. Sandy Hulme, the Alma College Model UN Director, and Dr. Ed Lorenz, the Public Affairs Institute Director
- Present their resolutions to family and friends at a closing reception, and share their accomplishments achieved throughout the week
- Make lasting friendships with the participants and current Alma students, while learning about the incredible opportunities available at Alma College
Fall 2016 Alma College Freshman Rate $175
Fall 2016 High School Student Rate $350
If you have questions, or for more information please contact Kari Yerington at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-321-ALMA or Dr. Derick “Sandy” Hulme at email@example.com.